Trolls R Us redux [Now the argument clinic]

I do think, given what he’s already said above about the board, octopus would have.

To be clear, I also don’t think Max_S was trying to justify rape. I do agree that he was trying to have a certain conversation, but just didn’t handle it well. Still, I also understand the reaction, and why it might be thought he needed something with a bit more sting to get him to think a bit more before posting. He should realize that some things can’t be talked about as casually as others.

Immanuel Kant begs to very strongly disagree with you. Google “categorical imperative” for more information. Yes, it’s true that moral codes differ among societies. For instance, in some societies it’s considered just and moral to take a woman who has committed adultery to the town square and stone her to death. Same thing, in some times and places, for being homosexual. In others, it’s fine to throw a baby over a cliff if it has the misfortune of being female.

There are, however, objective and rational objections to such moral codes. Again, try to educate yourself to understand your wrongness.

I think you’re thinking of SmashTheState.

Heh…“monkubines”. I’d forgotten about that. That was insane.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with discussing hypotheticals, even difficult ones. What’s wrong is exactly what @BigT said: Max failed to consider that many people actually are rape victims, and throwing around ideas like that casually - especially in the title which everyone sees without even opening the thread - is a bad idea. I’m not a fan of trigger warnings or safetyism in general, but this is the sort of situation where they are appropriate. It’s not a university where students should expect to be challenged and need to be able to deal with all relevant subject matter, it’s a message board that people read for entertainment. If they want to avoid certain subjects, they should be able to.

Well, if you get high enough on either… very smart people do tend to be more dysfunctional in my experience, but maybe that is some kind of bias.

I love the idea that this board does not have the emotional maturity to discuss when rape is . . . not wrong.

I don’t think this really has to be another octopus thread, does it? This thread is for talking about trolls, not interacting with them.

Ibzzz wholebzzzheartedly bzzzagree.

That’s without us even getting into the Wisdom of Children. Childlike here, and proud of it!

That’s the one. (shudder)

Hey, after searching for that, I shudder to think what I’m now going to see in the way of targeted advertisements…

So Max_S chose to post that OP and then following it up immediately with a reply of “I wouldn’t”, with extensive reasoning. If only he had spent two more minutes on the question “Would you post a tread specifically to discuss reasons to rape people” he could have possibly seen the many good reasons the answers should be no.

Words fail me.
He is making an impassioned plea that he was wronged …

For the Record.
I, in no way, shape or form think @Max_S is a troll. I do think he was wildly wrong on this thread of his and can’t believe he hasn’t thought better of it.

I am not. Currently single, and I will probably stay that way at least until this pandemic draws down.

~Max

Well, I’m sure you’re a catch. :wink:

Just a hypothetical: you are the last woman on earth. The last man on earth tries to rape you. Which of his organs do you crush first with a big rock?

But that’s just it, WE (at the risk of drifting off into ATMB territory). You worry about the “why” they do what they do, when you should just focus on the “what”. Yeah, someone who posts the specific scenario in the OP that he did may not “be” a troll per se, but the OP in question was nonetheless divisive and only had the effect to raise the hackles of other Dopers (again, irrelevant if that was intentional, or not).

Irrelevant to what should be done with the thread, perhaps. But I disagree that it’s irrelevant to what should be done with the poster.