TronnaDope, anyone?

All those trains! I’m jealous!

Make sure of your departure times, and follow the directions of the train staff in stations and on platforms. If I recall correctly (and it’s been some years for me so things may have changed) your Montreal train departs Toronto as a joint consist–that is, half the train goes to Montreal and the other half to Ottawa. (They will split the train at Brockville.) You, of course, want to be in the Montreal half, so if you are in doubt as you board, ask.

Also, if you can, take some time to poke around the Toronto and Montreal train stations. I know Toronto’s Union station best of all, but Montreal’s Central is quite interesting as well. At Central, note the frieze that surrounds the main concourse, with the words of the national anthem (in English and French) carved underneath. At Union, note the Beaux Arts architecture, the names of the cities to which you could go from there (I’ve travelled by train out of Union to or through all but one or two of them!), and the little details that show the station’s architecture and history. It’s a grand old building, opened in 1927, and has been called " a monument to the time when the world ran on steel rails." I’ve been in, though, and all over that building at one time or another, and could probably give you a guided tour of Union if I was there, but if you’re interested, PM me and I can go into more detail you can follow up on when you’re there.

Have a great trip anyway! Like I said, all those trains–I’m jealous!

Hey Spoons… seen the new proposal to put a glass roof on the middle section of the trainshed at Union Station? Finally! I know that existing roof is historically-listed and all, but it’s so bloody dark and dingy!

And they can put a green roof on the parts that aren’t replaced by glass!

waves frantically

Me! Me! You know me! You could meet me! I’ve never met any MMPers. Wait. No, I’ve met welby. Aside from him, I’ve never met any MMPers.

The Nawth Chucka/Tripler invasion is in August, right? I may or may not be available. We might be off visiting friends.

Haze, PM me or email when you know what your plans are, and maybe we can meet up.

:smack: How could I forget we have a Cool Kid in Toronto! I would love to meet you! That would be awesome.

Oh, don’t worry. When I get my schedule together I’ll proclaim it to the four winds and demand an SDMB entourage come meet me as I descend from the airplane. :wink:

I actually might be in Toronto on the 24th-25th as well. We’ll see. Muahaha.

sigh Well, we *were * going to use mass transit, but I guess we could allow you to take us from the airport to the train station in Windsor. This is an honor, to be sure, that you are not worthy of. Still, we proffer it to you, nay, pledge it, as you are a fellow Doper and therefore in the (lesser) arena of our social strata.

Well, they didn’t consult me. (grumble, grumble) There is something about the dark and dinginess that just feels right somehow–maybe it’s the pools of natural light that manage to work their way in. The sheds themselves are historic, yes; but very simple from an architectural and engineering point of view–I’ve seen copies of the original plans.

On a personal level, there is something about riding a train and approaching those dear old, if dingy, trainsheds. The train slows, the conductor (or the PA) calls “Toronto, five minutes; Toronto, cinq minutes!” you hear the rumble of the train crossing innumerable switches; then the trainsheds swallow you up into darkness, and you’re home. Sunspace, I could tell you some stories.

BTW, the Star writer might have done her homework: there is no “main hall” in Union Station; it is and always ever shall be, the “Great Hall” (common parlance, but known to be used by architectural historian Douglas Richardson) or the “Ticket Lobby” (as it was called on the original plans).

I’m in. Let me know time and place. :slight_smile:

So, it appears we have two dates to work with. HazelNutCoffee will be in town the first week of August, but we’ll leave it to her to let us know if/when there’s a convenient hole in her schedule to fit us in. :slight_smile:

It looks like the only night that will work for Nawth Chucka and Tripler is Monday the 20th. If they really want to spend their first night in Toronto with a bunch of Dopers, we could schedule something then.

Does that work?

Bwa ha ha haaa…

A Monday? I’ll bail from the weekly meeting of the Esperanto club for Dopers. Unless we’re meeting after 8PM, in which case that’s not necessary. :slight_smile:

We get into the train station Monday night (20th) at 5:50 pm and we have nothing planned for Tuesday evening so far. We’re free to Dope! We’ll need to check in to the Candiana first on Monday night, if you’d like to meet somewhere near there. Or we can do Tuesday evening after we go to the ROM and HHOF all day.

Right, Tuesday. D’uh.

Tuesday makes more sense, then. As it happens, you’re staying about 0.25 miles from my office, which is a great location for restaurants. Nearby, I’d recommend the following choices:[ul][]Bandidos. Authentic Mexican (Cesar, one of the owners, is from Mexico, as is most of the staff), with lots of very good margaritas.[]Tortilla Flats. Good Tex-Mex, with… very good margaritas. :o []Alice Fazoolis. “An Italian Crabshack.” A bit pricier than the first two, but very good![]The Red Tomato/Fred’s Not Here. Also a bit pricey, but has some choices that are more “Canadian.”[]Duke of Argyll. A Nova Scotia-themed pub, with decent food. And deep fried pepperoni. :eek: []Friar & Firkin. One of the Firkin pubs, but the food is good and at a reasonable price. As well, I believe that the waitress I know best works Tuesday evenings, and she’s a riot.Korean Grill. Pretty much what the name suggests. All you can eat for $15-17, including a variety of meats and seafood.[/ul]Of course, there are dozens of other places, particularly since the Spadina Chinatown is just a couple of blocks away.

We…we’ve got mass transit?

When I was working in the Detroit area (Farmington Hills, to be precise), I heard rumours of a “tunnel bus”. but since my only contact with central Detroit was to be driven rapidly through it upon being picked up at the Windsor airport, I know nothing more.

Of course, that was 1988. Things could have changed.

I went to school in Farmington Hills in 1988 and worked there for many years. Where were you working? (Company, Mile Road, etc.)
Yes, we’re taking the Tunnel Bus, alright! It may take some route finagling, but that is our intent. I don’t have a passport yet (got engaged end of March, not enough time to get one thanks to the federal clusterf*ck going on) so we can’t fly into Canada. It’s cheaper this way anyway, and we’ll be able to say we took plane, train and automobile in one day to get from Charleston, South Carolina to Toronto, Ontario. If only crossing into Windsor from Detroit were possible by boat…

I was working out near Novi and Commerce lake. Company named Medar off Grand River Avenue near 10-Mile. (I think it’s the tilted building in the linked picture.)

It is. But only if you’re toxic waste.

And congratulations on your engagement!

On a completely-unrelated note, you visitors from the US might think of getting your Canadian dollars sooner rather than later. The Canadian dollar continues to rise relative to the US dollar.

So, none of my suggestions were at all tempting? :smiley:

Well, I was going to suggest the Firkin, but I figured the Guests of Honour should speak first. :slight_smile:

Well, as I said to my beloved, “You know this side of Canada better’n I do, I’m followin’ yer lead!” I’ve been to Winnipeg and West therof, so I’m following her (and y’alls) lead on this one.

I’m just a tourist. :smiley:

Tripler
In this case, “Mother” knows best. :smiley:

I’ve been to a Friar & Firkin, it was in a downstairs and had Strongbow on tap, yummmm… I could go there! As long as there’s a fish or veg option, I can eat anywhere!