Truly awful haute-cuisine 60's and 70's style

Dear Lord - did they just take everything they could find in the house and throw it in green jello?!? :eek:

Jello was big enough where ito was the sponsor for the Jack Benny radio show.

there is history mentioning this at

Moved MPSIMS --> Cafe Society.

Cream cheese rolled up in slices of ham is actually pretty snacky. Except for the presentation, I don’t see anything wrong with it.

SPAM[sup]®[/sup] and limas? I think ham and lima beans is a popular dish in some parts of the country. SPAM[sup]®[/sup] is basically ham (and pork shoulder) that has been chopped and formed. Nothing wrong with that. It seems that that image was put there just to disturb people who hate SPAM[sup]®[/sup] even though they’ve never tasted it.

ETA: Oh, the cup steak puddings? I thought it said AORTA.

half a century from now people are going to think bacon goofy.

I remember being served something like this at a children’s bday party in the 50’s. Most of us thought it was going to be something SWEET, since it was FROSTED! It took all the grace I could muster to not spit it out and/or vomit after tasting it. WTF would you trick kids with this stuff for?

I thought the cream-cheese-frosting ‘sandwich loaf’ garnishes were really pretty!

In the 60’s, I had a hardcover book of beauty and entertaining published by Seventeen Magazine. There was a chapter on food, there was a checkerboard loaf cake like that, with beautiful vegetable garnishes. Never forgot that!

I want to make the meatloaf igloo.

Me, too.

Looks like basically a cottage pie in a cute shape.

Why? I’ve been eating bacon for more than half a century. Loved it then, love it now.

The one that interests me is the one that used lime Jello with some vinegar and onions in it.

Well, stuff like the “bacon bowls,” yes. I think they’re kind of goofy now.

Coincidence. I like tuna. As tuna.

I have seen jello mixed with cottage cheese before. I didn’t eat it.

Love the comment for number 19, the Baked Stuffed Salmon:

My mom made it every year: lemon Jell-O, lime Jell-O, cottage cheese, Miracle Whip (I believe), diced red apples, diced green apples, and chopped walnuts. Looked disgusting. Tasted good.

We had the variant:
Orange jello
Apricot jello
Cool whip
Cottage cheese
Pineapple
Canned mandarin oranges

It was quite decent.

I have to agree with Hello and the other posters who mentioned it. I don’t see anything wrong with the meatloaf igloo. However, the jello thing in the background is definitely wrong.

My mom made a tuna/jello salad. In a jello mold thingy.

I learned to cook for myself at the age of six. Lots of scrambled egg sammiches!

Well, the same thing happened to me at a party my mother had. I thought it was cake, but luckily my mother saw me eyeing it and warned me.

Of course I thought she was wrong and had some. Same reaction as you.

Once I was older - late teens maybe- I had a piece and liked it.