Truly awful haute-cuisine 60's and 70's style

Jello with shredded carrots in it is definitely a (horrible) thing. I’ve had it before, and a friend from Utah (where they’re very fond of Jello) says it’s common there. Not sure about the Miracle Whip, but, at that point…why the hell not?

#8 is definitely supposed to be some sort of Yorkshire Pudding, which isn’t a custard-type pudding but a sort of bread cooked in roastbeef drippings.

It looks wet in the picture, and it’s not browned, which is what’s confusing everyone. I don’t know if that’s intentional and it’s intended to be a dough blob, or if the picture’s just faded.

Individual yorkshire puddings look like this:

Too late to edit but Igloo Meatloaf is badass and I would totally eat and/or serve that.

I’ve got my grandmother’s 1962 Better Homes & Gardens cookbook and it’s got some real winners. Who’s up for some Stuffed Veal Hearts? And it’s got Perfection Salad, with an even creepier presentation than the OP’s! Oooh, here’s a good 'un :

Mmmm, brains.

No it isn’t, it’s a savoury meat pie casing, made with some of the tastier fats found in a cow or sheep, usually from the layer around the kidneys. There are some sweet recipes that use the same stuff - Spotted Dick is one. Suet isn’t an amazingly healthy fat though, to say the least, but it is delicious.

Yorkshire puddings are basically just eggs, flour and milk.

I’m pretty sure the specter of BSE/TSE has taken brains off the menu.

Goddamnit, you’re right.

Sandwich loaf tasted pretty good, if I remember correctly. Ham salad, chicken salad, egg salad, and maybe tuna salad, all frosted with cream cheese. It used to be served at showers. My mom would either make it herself or, for one shower, bought it at he bakery but it was expensive.

Guy Fieri eating eggs and brains (and almost losing it).
Too bad the uploader keeps talking over it.

That’s how my mum used to eat them. I tried them once.

Once.

:confused:

You can still find brains on the menu at tacquerias here. Haven’t had them in a taco yet, but I’ve had a lamb brain curry. On the other hand, I have had goat eyeball tacos. I’ll just say that I don’t expect them to become the next taste sensation anytime soon. (They were pretty bland with a gelatinous texture.) Brain is much better, although I can’t say I crave it. I know when I was a kid in the 80s, a lot of old timers loved brains and eggs. I still see brains from time to time at the local grocery, but my neighborhood is fairly ethnic.

Come on, 1974 wasn’t that long ago! We had vegetable oil and Crisco and margarine available to us. This isn’t a wartime shortage kind of deal.

I remember Jello “salad” things, and some of the more ambitious women (i.e. not my mom) made them in various shapes for potlucks, but aside from that, I never saw that kind of food in the wild back in the 70’s.

God, I’m old.

these are cooling summer dishes back when everyone didn’t have central AC.

I don’t have AC either but I’d still have to be near starving before I’d eat red Jello shrimp&olive salad topped with green Jello and yellow mayonnaise and Circus Peanuts or whatever.

I was around in the '60s and '70s and I definitely have no knowledge of any of those dishes. Food was bland, by and large, but it was edible. If I’d even seen any of those monstrosities, let alone eaten them, I’d certainly remember.

I dunno, I kinda like both Spam and lima beans.

I live in southern Idaho, which is really just northern Utah Mormon wise, and you are correct. But not just any Jello will do it must be green Jello, if there’s a world wide green Jello shortage you might sneak in yellow but you better have a good excuse and the decency to look ashamed.
And yes they still make these with the most amazing array of crap in them you can imagine. I cannot count the variety of Jello vegetable “salads” I was forced to endure at the weekly potluck suppers as a kid. A big favorite (not mine) was a salad made with green Jello, cottage cheese, shredded carrots, chopped green olives with pimento, onions, radishes, cabbage, pineapple and topped with mayonnaise.

The steak puddings are traditional British cooking, not haute cuisine, but making a comeback in pub restaurants. In terms of ingredients and texture they’re pretty much the same as stew with dumplings.

Ha! Yes, my friend did say it had to be green Jello. I think they sell a lot more green Jello in Utah than elsewhere in the country.

That dish sounds truly revolting. My family is prone to making a Jello dish with fruit cocktail and mini marshmallows in it for holidays, and I’ve never liked it, but at least if you must encase *something *in Jello, fruit is the right choice (or liquor…I’m a vegetarian and usually avoid gelatin but I can admit to having a few Jello shots).

…and with that handle, it does look like it can provide for home defense…