Truly mundane things you have learned recently

Today, I learned two bits of interesting, albeit somewhat esoteric, trivia:

There are not five Uniformed Services (Army, Navy, Air Force, Marines, Coast Guard), as I had previously thought. There are actually seven. NOAA and DHHS/PHS do not just maintain a civilian force, but a Uniformed Officer Corps as well. While technically not military bodies, they can be militarized by the President, or serve on detail assignments to the military services.

There is a distinction between callous and callus.

What not-quite-earth-shattering minutiae and trivia have impressed you lately?

I now realize it’s important not to confuse “callous” or “callus”, with renowned comedian Charlie Callas.

Okay, that’s just silly, but it’s been a long, long day. I’m going home.

I came across this site on the genetics of cat colours yesterday (it’s a fascinating read, by the way - who knew cat colours were so complicated?), and learned that cats lose almost as much fluid in grooming as they do peeing. Hmm, actually, it might have been a different site where I learned that, but I’ll let my link stand, because it really is a fascinating read.

I learned that, until I hear someone on tv say it last week, I never connected the word entendre (as in double entendre) with its verbal form. I’ve known the definition since I was twelve or so, but clearly had no idea how you say it.

I just figured out, last night, the double-meaning of “Every kiss begins with Kay.” Then I did some work to make me feel smarter.

[QUOTE=Dooku]
I just figured out, last night, the double-meaning of “Every kiss begins with Kay.” Then I did some work to make me feel smarter.
[/QUOTE]

On the contrary, “every kiss” begins with “e.” At least that’s how I usually respond to the ads.

[QUOTE=Only Mostly Dead]

What not-quite-earth-shattering minutiae and trivia have impressed you lately?
[/QUOTE]

Today I learned that one of the definitions listed in most dictionaries for the word “ravel” is “unravel.”

I don’t know why, but that makes my head hurt.

I also learned from reading another thread here that Circular Quay is a place. I had only known it as the name of one of my early choices to win this year’s Kentucky Derby.

I had seen it written many times before I ever heard it pronounced, so for some reason I thought a Circular Quay was some type of dilema. I was pronouncing it Circular Kway. I was thinking it was something like, “Judy found herself in a circular quay over which invitation to accept.” Now I realize I made that entire definition up out of thin air without realizing it. From now on I am looking all these things up.

If anyone else didn’t know about Circular Quay, here is more about it. (but since it is such a famous place, I am probably the only one who didn’t know)

Today is a good day for me learning little things.

I also now know the proper way to pour a hefeweizen.

Apparently “cafe latte” means two completely different things depending on whether you say it in Seattle or Rome. I’ve yet to receive clarification on this, though.

:eek: I would’ve gone the rest of my life without ever thinking of that.

I just noticed in GQ, that the first name “Sydney,” though spelled oddly if you expect it to be “Sidney,” is spelled the same as the Australian city.

[QUOTE=Fiddle Peghead]
I now realize it’s important not to confuse “callous” or “callus”, with renowned comedian Charlie Callas.
[/QUOTE]
And here I was confusing Charlie Callas with James Callis ! :smack:

Mine is so stupid I hesitate to mention it, but here goes:

You know how sliced apples turn brown if you let them sit too long? And they say you can put lemon juice on them to prevent browning? Well, I never liked that idea because then the apples taste sour.

About a month ago, it occurred to me that I could just rinse the lemon juice off before serving the apples.

I am 31 years old.

Well, this might make you feel better - I’m 40, and I had never thought of that, either. Course, I really like sour food, so lemon juice doesn’t bother me…

[QUOTE=Dooku]
I just figured out, last night, the double-meaning of “Every kiss begins with Kay.”
[/QUOTE]
And as we used to sing right after that jingle came on: “…and every ass begins with A.”

Me, I learned not long ago that as a hat size 7 5/8, my head is exactly 24 inches around, making me technically a headless quadruped:

Q: When is a head not a head?
A: When it’s two feet!

I just found out last week that Kansas City, MO and Kansas City, KS are virtually the same place, just with a state dividing line drawn right down the middle of it! I was for sure it was just happenstance that they were both named this way and that they must surely be hours away from one another. sigh

[QUOTE=Grits and Hard Toast]
Today I learned that one of the definitions listed in most dictionaries for the word “ravel” is “unravel.”

I don’t know why, but that makes my head hurt.

I also learned from reading another thread here that Circular Quay is a place. I had only known it as the name of one of my early choices to win this year’s Kentucky Derby.

I had seen it written many times before I ever heard it pronounced, so for some reason I thought a Circular Quay was some type of dilema. I was pronouncing it Circular Kway. I was thinking it was something like, “Judy found herself in a circular quay over which invitation to accept.” Now I realize I made that entire definition up out of thin air without realizing it. From now on I am looking all these things up.

If anyone else didn’t know about Circular Quay, here is more about it. (but since it is such a famous place, I am probably the only one who didn’t know)

[/QUOTE]
Known to locals as “the Quay”. And originally known as Semi-Circular Quay in the early days of the colony.

I recently figured out that the lyrics to the TV show “Three’s Company” theme song include the words “down at our rendezvous” and NOT “dominominayvoo”.

I gave up trying to figure out what that means a long time ago.

I learned ttoday that Sam Kinison was killed by a drunk driver. I always thought he died of a drug overdose.

I realised very recently that the word “painstaking” is not derived in some wacky way from “staking pain” but from “taking pains” to do something. :smack:

When doing creative writing, I look up words which may have extra meanings I am unaware of to make sure I’ve chosen the most effective wording possible.

Two months ago, I was suberbly amused for about a week because, (according to Merriam-Webster) livid is a word that can mean any of red, grey, or blue.

I am easy to please.