Trump, Cruz, Rubio: the three hairballs the GOP has coughed up for its Presidential nominee

You know how Republican candidates have pissing matches to see who loves Reagan the most? They’ll be doing that for Trump in 20 years.

The Times had an article about how the establishment was worried that if Trump was the nominee the platform would have to match what he wants. He already supports Social Security, and if he goes back to his previous positions after he finishes pulling the wool over the eyes of the Republican ninnies they are going to have a real problem.
A Republican Convention where they are fighting about including tax increases for the rich in the platform might be worth watching.

Been hearing Christie soundbites on the AP’s radio service. Paraphrasing: “Americans need Trump to protect them!”

No, we need him in a full-body condom.

Hey, I’m scared of many imaginary things. Mr. Trump’s imaginary plans sound like just the ticket to protect me from them.

“You love Trump the most!”
“No, you do.”
“Uh-uh, you!”

These guys are indeed hairballs, but Hillary is what comes out of the other end of the cat.

She’s a kitten?

Or if the 2012 experience hadn’t scared Huntsman off…

Out of the cat’s whatever?

You’re saying she’s a piece of tail?

Why can’t they be both?!

In fact, I saw an essay just yesterday published in The Federalist in which a conservative writer argues that, should the race end up being Trump vs Hillary, then Hillary will be the best choice for conservatives.

His point wasn’t, of course, that Clinton will be a less-bad prez than Trump (from a conservative PoV), but rather, that Trump will be terribly damaging to the the conservative cause and bring it into great disrepute – whereas Clinton will be a terribly damaging prez but at least will not bring the conservative cause into disrepute.

(Richard Nixon made a similar argument in one of his books, suggesting that we needed to have Democrats in power for a few administrations just to prove to everyone how bad that would be and how much better a Republican government would be.)

ETA: Oops, forgot a link. Here:
I’ll Take Hillary Clinton Over Donald Trump, Tom Nichols, Feb. 24, 2016.

And with an extra mega-dose of Republican Jesus. But other than that, right on target.

Excellent takedown. I applaud.

Yeah, I remember thinking in the fall of 2008 that we’d hit Peak Wingnut, and things would settle down once the election was over.

I’m gonna have to really work at it to be that wrong about something ever again.

I think they would be, but the fact is, once he was there, they let him pull them in his direction, both ideologically and behaviorally. They didn’t have to do that: they could have stood up to him, but they chose not to.

She used to be, but now she’s a bit long in the tooth.

No shit.

Very interesting.

And my bolding above, and -

. I would like to know just what in the hell the conservative cause is? They claim to want smaller gov and allow people to make their own choices while wanting to be a part of everyone’s personal life. Bunch of hypocrites.

I for one am stunned the two cubanos made it this far. That implies that the base of support for the other anglos has largely gone to Trump, or to them. So the race is splitting into racist (DT) and anti-racist (MR) blocks, with a fanatic (TC) hanging in who is also largely alive as a choice of non-racists rejecting racism?

Oh, yes, Kasich is still around, too.

Interesting, though. Will we see a split between white nationalists and more idealistic religious voters? Maybe so.

I can’t speak for the OP, and I’m certainly not objective, but I do recall posting about Santorum and Bachmann four years ago being the same kind of candidate as the three stooges this year. But I did not say that kind of thing about Huntsman and Romney.

(Romney was kind of fun with his corporations are people and the trees are just the right height in Michigan bobbles, but nothing like those three.)

If Carson still had a chance of winning, I’d put him in with the stooges.

Kasich is far more conservative than I care for, but at least he’s not a wild man accusing his opponent of peeing his pants, putting on makeup with a trowel or misspelling “choker”.

The GOP show Thursday night was a national embarrassment.

Poor Republicans. They have to revere Reagan, who famously failed to start a war against the declining Soviet Union, after practically promising it, and, perhaps illegally, accommodated/bribed Iran rather than starting an illegal war against them! And who declined to deport 12 million people, and committed a dozen other crimes for which they claim democratic presidents and officials should be tried as criminals. There is a stage of cognitive dissonance, apparently, at which cognition simply gives up and dies.

Re: Posts #52 and #55 above, on the idea of conservatives so disgusted with Trump that they contemplate voting for Hillary!

Here’s another one I just noticed:
Trump is the GOP’s Frankenstein monster. Now he’s strong enough to destroy the party. Robert Kagan (senior Fellow at Brookings Institution), Washington Post, Feb. 25, 2016:

My summarized translation of that Kagan article: “Clinton, if elected, is a pretty sure bet to carry on her husband’s brand of what is effectively moderate Republicanism, with proper deference to the economic interests of important rich people. Trump, on the other hand, is a professional drama llama whose personal economic self-interest is centered on attracting attention, and if he’s elected the markets are gonna HATE it.”