Trump hypothetical (sorry in advance)

Trump is having a rally next week in Tulsa OK. Cases there are spiking up, and it’s likely that many of the attendees will not be taking precautions like wearing masks, as their leader does not do so.

What if:

Trump contracts Covid at the rally, and then his progress is poor. In fact, he gets a stroke, and slips into a coma. His prognosis is not good, but he’s alive, and is expected to remain that way for a while at least (months). Timing wise, let’s say it becomes obvious that he’s not going to be capable on or about July 15. Approx 4 months to the election.

Obviously Pence will take over via Amendment 25, as it will be clear to everyone that he cannot fulfill his duties.

Without fighting the hypothetical, and without delving into the various conspiracy theories that would no doubt be breathlessly floated about by all and sundry:

What would be the path forward for the Republican Party? Go ahead with Pence the nominee? Quickly get a new nomination process cobbled together? What are their options in this event?

The nomination process can be redone remotely by the state delegates. More names than just Pence’s would likely be offered for consideration and the delegates would just keep voting until someone had the numbers needed. Nominations are easy; it’s the spectacle of a convention that takes all the work.

I have thought of this not really that hypothetical myself … guessing that quite a few of the previous candidates for the job would instantly jockey for position.

I was recently thinking that if I was Trump, I’d be watching my back. If Trump were to pass, Republicans would get all the benefits of a (partially) grieving nation and little of Trump’s baggage. Though of course I also know that Trump probably doesn’t think there is any type of issue with his administration and the people that disagree are just haters and losers.

I wonder if during a nomination process, the party might just split into the “love Trump/ hate Trump” factions, and totally destroy the party…

Since it’s still well before the GOP convention, I expect that Pence would be acting president until the GOP cobbles together a new nominee, one that doesn’t need nominees (I don’t see many Trump voters objecting in this situation.) Pence himself might be the new candidate but he is far too bland to win.

Makes you wonder if some of Trump’s allies are supporting the idea of a massive Trump rally because they hope he gets sick.

I expect the result would be a lot of jokes about leaving Trump on the ticket as ‘his constituents cant tell which one is the braindead vegetable.’

I’m pretty confident Trump’s baggage will survive him in the form of a large supply of conspiracy-theorizing nutcases who will declare that Trump was murdered, regardless of the actual circumstances of his death. Trump has too thoroughly stoked the fake news fires for them to die with him. I think we can expect some not-insignificant portion of Americans who voted Republican in 2016 will not do so again if Trump isn’t running, while embracing and spreading rumors that the Republican establishment did away with him.

Then we would have a wide open convention for the first time in a very long time. Pence could be nominated, but I just don’t think he has what it (politically) takes to get over the top. Wheeling and dealing and twisting arms and smoke filled back room deals. And yes, I would be for petitioning to suspend the indoor smoking ban for the convention and I would take off work all week to watch every second of the convention.

Why do anything with the nomination?

A guy in a coma can still be the nominee and win. He’d still get the same votes. People would look at it as, best case Trump comes out of it, worst case we get Pence, either is better to them than Biden.

If the 25th Amendment was invoked before the election and Trump won and somehow stayed alive and in a coma, Pence would continue to be acting president until Trump kicked the bucket. I guess it’s an interesting question of how and who they’d swear in on Jan 20th.

Isn’t Trump more electable sick in bed with the covers over his orange head?

Until January, when the new president is sworn in.

If they had to snap pick a new nominee, it’d probably be Cotton.

All of the same malevolence with none of the drooling.

The campaign slogan to end 'em all!