Trump's indictment--does it matter?

Also it sounds like Smith had some amount of choice as to which jurisdiction he filed the charges (DC or Florida) I doubt that he would have gone for Florida if it was likely that Cannon would hear the case.

Indictment PDF

I read it. He and his butler are boned.

Jack Smith is about to speak. MSNBC is covering it, and I’d guess other stations also.

Trying to figure out Loose Cannon’s mindset.

As noted, she is not experienced. It would take a special kind of hubris for any rookie - even if they were competent and unbiased, as she does not seem to be - to willingly want to jump into a hugely complicated matter such as this.

Add in that she has already been slapped down pretty hard WRT Trump. Now that seemed big to a lot of us, but lifetime appointments are long, and if she kept her head down and concentrated on doing quality work for a few years, it would become just one of many cases on which she was remanded. But if she sticks her neck out for Trump in THIS case and gets slapped down again, it would be hard for her to ever shed the reputation of being in Trump’s pocket.

Of course, if she puts her finger on the scale, Trump gets elected, and a vacancy on the Supremes opens up, it might work out to her advantage.

Really interesting.

Jack is speaking now.

Edited to add: it was very brief, with no new info. He just encouraged everyone to read the indictment and emphasized innocent until proven guilty.

Paragraphs 22 and 23 are particularly sweet. I think someone must have been giggling when they decided to include that.

I mean, it matters to his opponents. People like DeSantis want him out of the race. However, they also want to win over Trump’s supporters by being seen as his biggest defender. It’s a delicate balance - don’t do enough to cause riots or even change an outcome they privately find highly desirable, while loudly bemoaning a politicized process out to get a patriotic Presidential contender. This is not without hypocrisy. No one really thinks Trump did not have the documents. Plenty of people disagree on the subsequent process though.

Except Trump will feel absolutely no obligation to her in any way. So unless appointing her would be advantageous to him (it wouldn’t it would just make him look guilty) he won’t follow through. My uneducated guess is that the previous slap down has made Cannon regret that she ever had anything to do with Trump and will gladly take any opportunity to get as far away from it as possible.

I’ve just started to read it. Now I’m anxious to get to that part.

Of course. When has he shown loyalty to anyone - other than to toss them an anchor as he’s going down.

Yeah, those 2 paragraphs were a hoot.

This article has a nice photo of Grandpa Trump getting his clothing straightened by his Crime Butler.

Damn has he aged in 3 years.

I just read those 2 paragraphs. Lol.

I think he just doesn’t have his bronzer on.

I’m not being snarky or sarcastic, I think that’s literally true. He covers up his age with a thick bronzer. It’s like a lot of celebrities who are normally wearing heavy makeup in public and they almost look like a different person without it.

For the OP, I think it matters a lot. We have a process for justice and it’s being followed, as it must. I hope there’s a different outcome this time because of who is leading this particular effort.

Boxes of documents stacked on a ballroom’s stage. Jesus!

“Well, if I can’t climb those stairs, nobody can.”

Boxes stored in a shower. WTF?

Well, in a building that size you wouldn’t expect there to be empty closets now would you?

IMO the real problem with this indictment is that it’s two years too late. If his trial was almost over right now, we could probably kiss his political comeback goodbye. Right now his political comeback will be happening during the trial. Which can’t help but look political even if it isn’t.

If he’s acquitted, that ends it; the government doesn’t get to appeal a verdict of not guilty.