Tuesday, Tuesday, Tuesday

Utterlessly meaningless, but fun:

Coming up is:

Tuesday, Two-Twenty-Two, Twenty-Twenty-Two (2-22-2022).

Sunday, of course, is 2-20-2022, which is almost as fun.

You have been alerted.

Tacos! Tacos! Tacos!

Where I live it is 22.2.2022 and 20.2.2022. Or even 22.02.2022 and 20.02.2022.
Actually, the second version is more correct, according to convention. Our convention.

The European date format is the worst possible date format. The American format is the second-worst.

ISO 8601 is the One True Date Format. 2022-02-22.

The deuce you say!

I disagree: European date format is written just as we say the date: 22 of February (of the year) 2022, thus the numbers are in the right order: 22.02.2022. American numbers are in the wrong order concerning months and days, IMO.
ISO 8601 is OK: nobody uses it.

ISO 8601 is the only correct format because it can be sorted chronologically even when represented as text.

But the European format is better for next Tuesday, because the date is a palindrome.

In every other avenue of human endeavor, the most significant things appear to the left, and the least significant on the right. For individual numbers, the tens digit is to the left of the ones, and the hundreds to the left of the tens. When alphabetizing words, the left-most character is the most granular level of organization, and then the next-most-left character, and so on. When looking at file paths on your computer’s hard drive, the top-level directory is on the left, and subdirectories next to that, and so on.

The most significant digit in a date is the millennium digit. Where did both the Euros and Americans put that? In the middle! The god-damned middle. I could almost accept a total reversal of digits, where it smoothly goes from right-to-left, but not this chaotic rearrangement of digits.

The American system has one thing going for it, which is that if you leave off the year, it is the same as ISO 8601. And so most Americans will not be confused when presented with an ISO 8601 date, since they’ll just figure the year was put in a funny place and the rest of the date is the same. It’s still a bad system, just not as bad.

I always use ISO 8601 and so do most of my colleagues.

But the American system is much more difficult to convert into Celsius!
And if the most significant number is the millenium, all I can say is that I mostly remember the millenium I live in, but the day is what changes the most. The day is the most significant information, because it changes more often and is therefore more relevant. What sense does it make to put what everybody knows in the first place? It’s a waste of time! Redundancy squared!
PS: Nice, what people can argue about.

If you are going to start with rational arguments I surrender.

Most significant in a mathematical sense is that which has the highest impact–i.e., the thousands place. Most relevant for a human could be anything. Sometimes the year is the most important to me, sometimes the seconds. Which reminds me: at least we all get the time the right way around, with HH:MM:SS. Most to least significant, as all things should be. I’ll even give the Euros credit that 24-hour time is much more prevalent there. That actually makes up for the date thing.

I like arguing, and if you don’t you can stuff it :slight_smile: .

Back to the OP, I’ll be waiting for 2022-02-22 20:22:02. Nicely palindromic to the second.

22.02.2022 22:02:20,22, at two minutes past ten in the evening and 20 seconds and 22 hundreths of a second we will be palindromic too. You must concede our way is one hundred times more precise.
Now, if you excuse me, I must stuff myself to bed, I must work in the morning and we are some hours ahead. :laughing:

You’re skirting mighty close to a trademark violation. TACO TUESDAY™ is a registered trademark in 49 states by Taco John’s. Obviously, Gregory’s Restaurant & Bar owns the trademark in New Jersey.

I suspect that’s a chicken and egg thing, as we in the US say Month (the) date, e.g. today is February sixteenth, twenty twenty-two. (Some people say February the sixteenth.)

Unless you’re writing in Israel or MENA, of course.

It’s the year 111 in Taiwan so we already had 1-11-1111. November will be better.

Plus, it provides information in order of demand. I know what year it is; I probably know what month it is; I may or may not know what day it is. The day is the number that I am most likely not to know, and therefore, it should come first.

In other words, if I ask you what’s today’s date, you won’t say “February!” and you definitively won’t say “2022!” - you’ll say “The 17th!”, because the reasonable assumption is that that’s what I wanted to know. That’s why the day should come first.

The egg was first, of course.

I rather like the Russian way of shortening dates:

22/II/2022

Roman numerals always signify the month, and the year always comes last. I often use it in my own notes: “Meeting with Joe Blow, 7/XI/21” naturally means “7 November, 2021.”

That’s cool I guess, but I’ve been taking notes in a mixture of hieroglyphs, cuneiform, and Linear B for ages now and makes perfect sense to me.