Turkey tetrazinni ... anyone else love this dish?!

I had roasted a turkey breast the other night, so had a goodly amount of turkey leftover. I had been wanting to make some turkey tetrazinni for some time, so took advantage of the breast meat tonight–it’s in the oven now and smells soooo good!! YUM!!

I looked for a recipe on the 'net, of course, and found two that I sort of combined ingredients … I’ve got:

sauteed onions, mushrooms and green pepper, to which I added 1 can of cream of chicken & mushroom soup (with 1 can of water) and a can of chicken broth (fat free). While sauteeing the first three ingredients, I cooked some linquine al dente, and set it aside to drain. After stirring the soup and broth together with the good saute till it blended, I added two cups of colby/jack cheese, a bag of frozen petite peas, a little worcestershire sauce, 1/2 cup of cooking sherry and 4 cups of cubed turkey breast. As the cheese melted, I added the linguine noodles then mixed it all up and turned it into a 11 X 9 glass baking pan. I spread it out evenly, then topped it with some chopped pimentos, 2 cups of parmesan cheese, bread crumbs and finally a bit of black pepper.

Can’t wait to eat dinner tonight! :slight_smile:

so YOU have the cooking sherry! someone was looking for it here the other night.
there’s a great little anecdote about turkey tetrazzini in “the Joy of Cooking” - it was supposedly invented for a visiting opera singer named (I think) Maria Tetrazzini. Not sure if it’s true, but a fun urban legend. Bon appetit!

I love it, but I’ve never tried to make it.

There are a lot of snooty suggestions I could make about your preparations, but won’t, cuz whatever you like is what you like. :smiley:

I would, however, dump the cooking sherry down the sink and use real sherry. “Cooking” wines in general are nasty concoctions. I think you will see an improvement in the flavor with the real thing.

Also, you didn’t say whether you used fresh parmesan or that stuff in the cardboard tube, but if it’s the latter, I’d dump it in the sink along with the cooking sherry and invest in the real Reggiano. Again, more robust flavor. Cheers.

I haven’t made this recipe, but Cook’s recipes are usually pretty good:

http://www.americastestkitchen.com/Recipe/746.shtml

A recipe I grew up with was ham tettrazini (not sure why my mom made it with ham and not turky)

The recipe sounds pretty similar to yours, onions, cream of mushroom soup, soy sauce, elbow macaroni and ham.

I’ve never been a big fan of turkey, but the reason is becauwse it’s dry. Probably cooked with soup and noodles would take this element away.

Maybe I’ll try it.

The dining service at the university I went to served this crap every week! It went by a variety of names…most impolitely as “sh*t on a shingle”.
Actually, it wasn’ttoo bad…its just that you got awful tired ofit! :slight_smile:

The only time I’ve had turkey tetrazinni was in college – our cafeteria would serve it periodically. I absolutely LOVED the stuff. We used to call it “turkey spaghetti.”

Most of the folks I hung out with didn’t like it. Me, I scarfed it down.

Thanks for the replies folks. The turkey tettrazini (or is it tetrazinni?!) turned out pretty decent or at least I thought so. It was a little less cohesive then it should have been; guess I’ll have to jiggle the recipes a bit (since I mixed & matched from two different recipes).

So, cooking sherry is NG? That was my first experience with it; I do have some Harvey’s Bristol Creme–would that have been an acceptable alternative? :wink: I also probably should have added some sour cream (or in the face of all that admittedly delicious but bad for you high fat) or low fat yogurt.

I first had TT at an Italian restaurant when I was in college, so I probably had a pretty good version of it. I can’t say why I like it so much, but lately I’d had a taste for it. Probably when they served it in the cafeteria at my job, and it wasn’t so good but I ate it anyway… then I wanted to have some good stuff. :stuck_out_tongue:

When I was a kid, one of my favourite-ist meals was chicken tetrazzini. It wasn’t homemade, it came in a box. You just added chicken & hot water to the pasta and powdered “stuff”, mixed it all up and popped it into the oven for a while and presto! I could never get enough of it.

Of course I haven’t seen this product in the stores for years and years so I should probably bite the bullet and try making it myself. No idea who put out the mix, it was something Betty Crocker-ish I’m sure.

(PS. The opera singer was Luisa Tetrazzini.)

Ditto on the Cook’s recipe. THAT is the best recipe-I was most emphatically NOT a fan of the casserole until I tried theirs…