Turn your Poop Blue!

https://joinzoe.com/bluepoop

I once made Weird Dinner for a group of friends, serving them diner rolls dyed blue with food coloring, and mashed potatoes dyed purple.

No one would touch them. The rolls looked like balls of Play Doh and the mashed potatoes looked like The Blob.

Well, that’s a very colorful experiment. And, not to threadshit on your tongue in cheek topic, but doesn’t food digestion time vary depending on the kind of food it is? Like a blue t-bone would take longer to find it’s way out than a bowl of blue ice cream?

Ever try the green ketchup? There was definitely a psychological barrier to using it.

Absolutely not. If I want blue poo, I’ll paint it myself.

Wouldn’t just eating corn work just as well?

Tell the Blue Man Group. They can have a Blue Poo Revue.

IIRC, there was green and purple. I tried a few times and could never get myself to eat it.

OTOH:

I’ve never had any issues with Easter bread.

Blastin’ Green, Funky Purple, Stellar Blue, Passion Pink, Awesome Orange, and Totally Teal.

https://www.fastcompany.com/1779591/what-were-they-thinking-day-ketchup-crossed-line-perfect-purple

Oh, what a timely topic!

TMI ahead!

I have a hernia that I want fixed yesterday. I had the initial visit with the surgeon, and he wants me to be evaluated by a gastroenterologist who is supposed to test my gut transit time!

That’s a dinner table conversation topic!

Instead of Crayola-colored food, I am supposed to swallow a capsule with a timer (NOT the camera capsule) that will give progress resports as it sails away through the canals towards the open seas.

I know everyone will be SO jealous of me!

~VOW

That’s what I thought, but the article suggests that everybody should eat a blue muffin. If everybody eats the same thing, then the results among different people should be comparable. And people tend to eat muffins in the morning, so that would correct for any changes due to time-of-day, sleep cycles, etc.

I didn’t click on the article, did it say what the time is that we should be shooting for?

IIRC, there have been actual psychological experiments that showed this, too. As I recall, they dyed some sort of food, french fries and steak, I think, “weird” colors. The control group ate the meal under special light that prevented them from seeing what color the food was (to rule out the possibility of the dye affecting the taste or smell), and they said it tasted fine. The group who was given the meal under normal light found it completely unappetizing. And if I remember correctly some people in the control group actually felt nauseated when they learned the food they’d eaten was the “wrong” color.

I’m guessing the reason is because we’ve all been taught that funny colored food is probably spoiled. Maybe things like green ketchup works on kids because they haven’t gotten that conditioning yet.

I don’t think you mean “shooting”.

Some years ago, a coworker brought in green bagels for St. Patrick’s day. The whole-wheat bagels must have had a large amount of food coloring in order to make the green stand out against the brown of the whole wheat.

The next day we all had a good laugh as we compared experiences.

“Shooting” is exactly what I mean.

Compromise on blue corn chips?

When my bros and I were about 4, 6, & 8yo, we got together with Dad to make Mom a homemade birthday cake from the typical grocery store mixes. Back then even frosting was a mix, not a sweet glop you scoop out of a tub. We chose chocolate cake & white/vanilla frosting.

But, being 4 boys of varying ages but still in our silly phase, we had to improve it. So we food-colored the cake a very bilious green and the frosting was about grape-jelly purple.

Mom was … surprised. It took a LOT of food coloring to get the colors bright enough, and yes, we soon had interesting poop. And told all the neighbors all about our scientific triumph. No wonder they moved away.

We were sort of like Calvin, except there were 3 of us. How we survived to puberty is a mystery to all of us.

When I lived in a hippie-ish commune in the '60s, we dyed a lot of our food. Everybody loved it, especially multi-colored popcorn. We dyed some of our pets too. I don’t recommend it.

I was hospitalized not this past December, but the December previous for extreme pooping [chemo and radiation turned my gut into a 36 foot road rash leaking interstitial fluid out of me into the poop stream instead of pulling water out of the poopstream so I ended up way too dehydrated.] I startled the hospitaler with a mouth to toilet bowl time of 17 minutes as timed by the undigested bits of watermelon from the days fruit salad.

A coworker brought in a green red velvet cake for St Patrick’s day once. It was from a red velvet cake mix, so the sheer amount of food coloring she had to use to make the green overwhelm the red really showed up the next morning!