Twilight of the blog: is discussion for losers?

Seems as though it’s getting harder and harder to get discussions started on blogs - even those that you’d think would engender discussion.

For instance, on social and/or cultural issues such as those covered at The Good Men Project, where I visit frequently. (NOTE! Not an MRA site!) Lots of thought-provoking essays, quite a few with dozens of comments, but little or no interaction between them. Typically just one or two per reader, with no sense of a developing coversation.

Is it because comment sections are becoming associated with bots, trolls and morons no matter what the topic is? Are trendy formats like Twitter winning out over blogs the way blogs (supposedly) shoved aside web fora like SDMB, and web fora long ago drained the life out of newsgroups?

Where, besides here and maybe nytimes.com, are people having intelligent discourses about real stuff that lasts longer than 140 characters? Is that once again a luxury reserved for those of us with deep social lives, who can have those conversations face to face? Maybe a luxury for everybody, now that we’re all about working two jobs to make ends meet and tuning out the bloodyminded bloviating that’s promoted by opinionmakers?

I suppose another possibility is that not even the relatively erudite and eclectic cohort of my fellow Dopers gives a royal blue shit about the possibility of a breakdown in the national discourse. This would explain why 222 of you have looked at this OP and not posted so much as a “ho hum,” “aaaa, dry up” or “go peddle your papers.”

this

+1

And the link doesn’t work. What is The Good Men Project?

I didn’t know discourse was in trouble. I don’t have a blog and I’m not on Twitter.

I have been wondering lately if blogging is breathing its last gasps or has already died.

A popular blog I follow recently redesigned his site and completely removed comments from all his posts. He said the reason was that even though some posts gathered a lot of comments, he didn’t feel it really added anything new, and if someone wanted to share something with him, they could email it. I mostly agree with him.

Also, most people now post links on their twitter or facebook pages and have the conversations there with people they know aren’t going to be complete trolls/morons. Some communities still have strong comment-oriented discussions (such as AVclub), but most of the time I don’t find them all that useful in furthering my knowledge in ways message boards and places like Reddit do.

Try this.

Me neither. I just read a lot, very little of it on paper, and it’s my impression (FWIW) that fewer people want to have real conversations about real issues. It makes me think that the common ground has been blasted into no-man’s-land by adversary politics and the people who want to divide-and-conquer us - and not incidentally, that technology (or more accurately, trends in technology) is limiting the kind of conversations we do have rather than making them easier to have.