Two Kids Dead, But Mom's Hair Sure Looks Nice

Sure, Ms Maynor was smart enough to know that she was in serious trouble, but she doesn’t appear to be distraught over the death of her children. She didn’t rush to the hospital with the desperate hope that the infants might be revived. She didn’t call 911. Her main intention was to protect herself.

Sociopath.

Of course she has to be put away for as long as possible, though even that might not keep her from having more kids.

If you’re eager to execute her, feel free. I’m not a DP supporter myself. As a practical matter, women, even women who kill children, are rarely sentenced to death.

belladonna’s reasoning is, as usual, quite sound. But I got the impression that some people were arguing it from a more emotional POV. (“A fate worse than death.”)

I know which one I’d choose if I had to be either raped or killed, but I realize this is a sensitive issue for some, so I’ll shut up now.

What exactly is the logic behind punishing this woman? Hasn’t she suffered enough, having both of her kids die by her own hand- due to her own stupidity??

What good would causing her more suffering do? I doubt that punishing her will deter anyone from doing the same in the future by causing them to think “Gee, I better not lock the kids in this hot car all day with the windows rolled up, or I could go to jail!”.

Ferrous–it’s definitely a sensitive issue, but I don’t think you’ve been offensive at all. No worries. I know if given the choice between being raped again, or being murdered I’d take the rape. Like you said, at least you get to walk away from that. Calling it a “fate worse than death” is a pretty interesting reflection on our society’s attitude towards rape and rape victims though, IMO. I’ve been there and it sucked, but considering where I am now–with a good life and a beautiful son and a little perspective–I think death would have been much much worse.

bella

Actually, Ferrous, you’re looking at it from outside a perspective of punishment, I think.

Sure, outside of being punished for something else I’d done I’d rather live too. :rolleyes:

However, I object to a crime being used as a punishment for a crime - part of my objection to the death penalty, as well.

No.

Surreal, a woman who drives around for hours afterward to make up an alibi does NOT sound like a person who has “suffered enough”.

Sounds like she hasn’t suffered nearly enough, if at all.

I’m not sure exactly what you mean here, but I fail to see your justification for the rolleyes at me when you were the one saying it was “worse than death.” Note that I refrained from using condescending smilies towards your attitude, which I did find somewhat baffling.

No argument there. (Although I will note that the death penalty is not technically a crime in the legal sense of the word.)

Well, belladonna and SisterCoyote both answered for me. Both of their opinions apply, in a sense. Death itself wouldn’t necessarily be the punishment, but the removal from society. I have various feelings myself towards the death penalty, but I have only one opinion about rape. It’s wrong. And as a punishment? Who applies the punishment? A “normal” person? A convicted criminal? No, to say that someone should be raped is wrong on many levels. If you want, you can also throw in the “cruel and unusual punishment” bit, but I’m sure there are those who say that about the death penalty.

I guess, perhaps to sum it up, when you have a rabid dog, you put it down. You don’t torture it.

Sorry about the smilie - synapse misfire. Wasn’t suppsed to be a rolleyes but I don’t remember what it was going to be.

To clarify: airdisc suggested a crime as punishment. I said that said crime was never an appropriate punishment for anyone. You then questioned my reasoning, saying you’d rather live than die.

I’m not arguing the live vs. die argument, so what I meant in that second statement was that if I were being assaulted I would rather live.

If, however, I were being punished, I’d rather be locked up than be killed or raped.

Also, there are men who use rape as a punishment for women (or for other men), and I find the encouragement of that mindset to be reprehensible.

Clearer? Seriously, I’ve been miscommunicating a lot lately and want to be sure we’re okay.

Okay, I understand where you’re coming from now, and I agree completely. Thanks for the clarification.

Oh, and SisterC, you snuck in while I was typing.

Yes, perfectly clear now. We’re cool. Thanks. :slight_smile:

We can all sit here and say that if WE had accidentally locked our kids in the car, we’d call 911 immediately and turn ourselves in. But until you’re actually in that position, you can’t be sure what you would do. She may have totally freaked out, realizing that she could face a death sentence, and while in this state thought that she should try to make up an alibi.

And if we kill this woman, then her mother has to have her child die. It just compounds the tragedy, solving nothing.

I think I’m going to be seriously, seriously ill.

I wonder what her defense is NOW?

I can only think of how hot it gets in my room up here, without the fan on. We have air conditioning, but there’s only two vents in the entire upstairs, so it only gets a little bit cooler. Without my ceiling fan, it’s HOT in here. I can’t imagine being in a closed up car for three fucking hours.

Roast in Hell, bitch. And yes, I mean that literally.

I echo the ‘rabid dog’ sentiment, although, technically, a lifetime behind bars would suit well enough… She won’t be having any more children, so she won’t be killing any more children.

It’s cases like this that shake my core belief in myself… I like to think I’m a civilized, loving Christian. Cases like this reveal the animal anger that dwells in the darker depths of my soul, and I long to viciously savage this execrable excuse for a human. It wouldn’t fix anthing, but it might placate the demons that my empathy for her tortured, dead children has brought to life. This is a horror that she has commited, and I want, nay, long, to visit horror upon her, as useless as that would be.

I’m weeping.

Um, no. I don’t think she should die-I think she should be locked up in a hot cell for the rest of her life. With pictures of her kids all over the walls.

I don’t care what her excuse is. These are people we’re talking about. I got pissed at some guy who left his dog out in his truck last week-I was at work and made an announcement after someone mentioned this. The guy just shrugged it off.

I can’t imagine someone being so fucking callous and braindead.

Surreal, haven’t we suffered enough from your stupid posts?

Surreal, haven’t we suffered enough from your stupid posts?

You only have to hit the ‘Submit Reply’ button once. Maybe you’ll have it fugured out after another 900 posts.

If she had locked her purse in the car, she would have noticed within 10 minutes, I bet.

Michigan doesn’t have the death penalty, unless they have gotten it in the past couple of years or so. I think she definitely deserves it but shrug Doesn’t look like it will happen.