Two lights

Hide it under it a bushel? No!

There’s the light at the end of the tunnel. Then, after the train hits, there’s the light that you float toward.

[snerk the antichrist coming by sea. good one.]

David Lowry knows what you all mean.

“Someone please tell me that it’s not a train.”

The blue light is my baby and the red light is my mind.

tl;dr

Are you aware of the Two Trees presented to Elfkind? Would you like your own copy of the Silmarillion to read?

…No, I’m sorry, that’s just where my mind went. Carry on.

There is a longer version of the OP in the now-closed MPSIMS thread:

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?p=18941632#post18941632

That sounds fake, but OK. (Not the heat colors part, I know that part.) Isn’t the bulk of visible moonlight basically reflection?

This little light of mine

Mine too.

Nerds.

What you did there? I see it.

Took some guts to make that pun.

John 16:10
10 Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;

Headlights, that is.

A little gaffer’s tape oughta take care of that. Or wear a heavier coat.

Where’s the “like” button on this damn thing?

Is this the creationist of internet legend who almost discovered the Sun, overcompensating?

Since you brought up the theme of being technically picky…

Kelvins are an absolute measure, it’s nonsensical to label them as degrees.

Besides, didn’t we already have ‘do you know better than NASA’ in this thread? Your NASA cite doesn’t refer to Kelvins as having degrees.

Well the moon is sometimes a bright object depending on its phase. Sometimes it’s a new moon.
Given that, it seems strange to describe it as a light that rules the night (especially in a context that implies like the sun lights the day), and stranger too why it wasn’t just made to be a light-emitting object…

Allow me, then, to nitpick with renewed vigor! :wink:

You are incorrect. It isn’t “nonsensical” to label Kelvin units as degrees because that’s exactly what they were called – and denoted as such with the degree symbol – until the 13th General Conference on Weights and Measures which redefined the usage in 1967. Until then °K was the accepted usage, as in this old paper or this more recent one, both of which use your alleged “nonsensical” notation. Moreover, the Rankine scale is also an absolute measure exactly analogous to the Kelvin scale, and still uses the “degree” nomenclature and symbol.

Finally, there’s a difference between sloppy typography, of which I was guilty as charged, and a fundamental error in physics regarding the emission of radiation from the moon. :slight_smile: