Typing is becoming as useless as Morse code

Between Google search auto-completing things and my SwiftkeyX reliably predicting my every word in a text… how long until typing is an arcane thing of the past?

Even speech to text is getting pretty damn good these days. I played around with the native Win7 speech to text and it was passable if not usable. If Firefox can check my spelling as I type, and several services can predict what I’m about to type, then typing is on the way out.

Morse code was like binary for letters and punctuation. Typing is now like the Morse code for text input. Typing out every single letter in a word will be unheard of in 15 years, it would be a waste of time. We’re not inputting individual characters like we did with printing presses, we’re forming words.

The phrase “Hey Man, what are you doing?” has many characters, and requires some punctuation input when typed. If I wanted to text that to someone, I would open up the text interface, press the letter H, and could complete my message using only suggested words. Seven keystrokes, all of them being the enter button.

I think that predictive (and selectable) text plus voice recognition will eventually make typing obsolete. This is not a new notion by any means, I just saw how arcane pressing one button per letter seemed these days.

Even speech will soon be obsolete. They have shit now that can read your fucking mind. I am not joking. They’re using it for disabled people or somesuch - look it up.

It’s true! I saw it on the Interwebz!

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/technology/8412315/scientists-trial-mind-reading-computer

You’re overlooking one big difference. With Morse code, the finished output can only be understood by people who know Morse code. With typing, the finished output is not distinguishable from the output of auto-complete, speech-to-text, or any other text-producing technology that comes along. Even if typing becomes arcane, it will still be capable of creating useful outputs that can be understood by people who don’t type.

Morse code vs. modern texting with autocomplete and all that:

Prediction is great for low-information-content text. For anything that requires more sophistication, it’s not just useless but counterproductive.

At any rate, you may be right, simply because most people don’t have anything novel to say most of the time.

I realize not many people are into ham radio these days, but IIRC beginners are required to use Morse code, and only Morse code, during the first year or two of being licensed.

*In the United States, specifically; I don’t know about other countries.

Of all the possble reponses to this post this is the reponse that will elict the optimum reponse to the post reponding to this post:
Talk about simulaposting.

that hasn’t been the case for many years.

That’ll happen when monitoring the predictive text as you go consistently slows you down less than just typing the entire word without thinking about it does.

Best guess: Never.

Well, what if your system maintains a log of everything you write, so that it develops a sense of what you’re likely to say next? Before long, it’s writing my material for me! Perfect AI sim!

But, considering that, in real life, I hit the “backspace” key more often than nearly any other key (other than the space bar) it would be highly amusing for my system to develop the knack of typing the way I really do…

So<< When in the course<<<<<<<<<<<< My sister once<<<<<<<<<<<< Given technological advances<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Dunno.

When are they gonna replace the keyboard with something easier to use?

As for speech-to-text - I type as fast as I talk, and I׳d rather spend eight hours a day typing than talking.

Absolutely agree. Most of my work day is writing quite technical multi-page reports. I’m naturally a quiet bloke and if I had to talk to the computer to ‘write’ the submissions I’d go nuts. To say nothing of the noise from an office full of people talking all the time.

This is basically what I came here to say too.

I agree with you, with regards to a full-size keyboard, because you’ve got the power of ten fingers working for you. On a smartphone, however, predictive text can be much faster. Unless you have bionic thumbs.

…or Swype. :slight_smile:

I give this prediction five megalosaurus.

Autocomplete and auto spelling correction have indeed boosted my overall typing speed. If I know I’ve just made a common typo, I can just blaze on through, knowing that my computer will correct it for me, whereas before I’d have had to backspace and fix it. And if I see that a long word has autocompleted, I just tab out and go to the next word.

But it’s given me a jump from, say, 90 wpm or so, up to maybe 100-110ish. I don’t think it would allow a non-typist to get to 90 wpm. And I don’t see any technology looming that will allow that to happen, either. At least not within the next 10 years. As for speech-to-text, that’s cool and all, but like right now, I’m typing at my public library and I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t appreciate having everyone in here furiously muttering at their computer screens. Not to mention the privacy issues involved.

I think typing will be around for quite some time.

… .----. .-… .-… / -… . .-… … . …- . / - … .- - / .-- … . -. / .–. . — .–. .-… . / … - — .–. / …- … … -. --. / – — .-. … . / -.-. — -… . / - — / .–. — … - .-.-.-

That’s probably two. Between hot toe complete hand voice recognition, typing out every letter over document behind will soon become as obsolete else the mouse in a few years.

Semi-related question: does anyone in the world use telegraph any more? It always amuses me when I see this line in our divsion budget “Telephone and telegraph”. But perhaps some remote scientific outpost can’t get satellite or a line capable of voice so they would rely on Morse code. I tend to doubt it, but maybe it’s possible.