U.S. judge will grant unconditional release of would-be Reagan assassin John W. Hinckley Jr

https://www.wfmz.com/news/national/john-hinckley-jr-man-who-shot-president-reagan-will-be-granted-unconditional-release/article_2914a6bd-5639-550d-949f-79721eb472e5.html

Since he was mentally ill and is now cured it’s reasonable to do so.

Jodie Foster’s waiting at the hospital gate for him is over.

I still have that song he composed for her in my head, from the coverage at the time

“In the middle of the night
In the middle of the night I call your name
Oh, Jodie…” (this last bit may not be accurate)

Someone tell him that Donald trump is banging Jodie Foster.

Thread :trophy:

Damn, beat me to it —- I’ve been making that joke all day…

Every time I hear the news story, I add the sentence

“Upon granting his release, the judge turned to Hinckley and said “Good luck, and by the way, Donald Trump’s screwing Jodie Foster.

Yes and no. The government never believed that he was mentally ill in the first place. They argued that he was not insane, that what he did was cold and calculating. Yet when the jury finds him insane, they spend nearly forty years arguing how insane he is and needs to stay locked up.

His legacy will be that he got the laws changed so that people who are really insane go to prison instead of a mental hospital.

I’d like to take this opportunity to shoehorn in one of my favorite bits of ironic trivia: Not a single bullet Hinckley fired hit Reagan directly. The shot that hit him was a ricochet, off the bullet proof limo.

That comes from this song

Jodie Foster had and has nothing to do with this. Her name was dragged into the story by a madman.

As for the madman, I would suppose he is no longer a threat and so should be released.

“I shot an actor for an actress
But he lived to make a joke”
–Wall of Voodoo, Far Side of Crazy

At the very least, hand him a map to Mar-a-Lago.

He’s not going to be popular at the assisted living facility. The elderly tend to revere Reagan.

This elderly doesn’t.

I’m on the cusp of elderly, and I certainly don’t.