John Hinckley Jr Freed

So I’m not sure where to put this, but since it’s sort of breaking news I’ll start here - mods feel free to move at need.
I was listening to a news podcast this morning and heard this, so I went looking for a bit more info. I was a bit surprised that there wasn’t already a topic on it here - I mean a recent one. Here’s an old thread I found but it’s from 2003 and I didn’t think it was wise to revive it: Old pit thread
John Hinckley Jr Freed
and
John Hinckley’s sold out concert is canceled
Anyway, just sharing the info.

Well, he was released in 2016. The change is that he’s no longer under supervision.

My biggest worry is whether Jodie Foster knows about this so she can take necessary security measures for herself and her family.

That’s rough. You try to kill one president, one time and they never just leave you be.

Maybe he will get together with Squeaky.
Isnt the the only person to be found not guilty by reason of insanity? Ive read its tough to get that verdict, though many have tried.

There’s a Panic Room joke in there somewhere.

In “Assassins”, Stephen Sondheim seemed to think they’d at least be friendly.

The Arkansas prison system notifies victims when prisoners are paroled.

Does the federal prison system do so, since that’s the one that’s relevant? I read the CNN story cited in the OP and no mention of Arkansas.

But he never committed a crime against Jodie Foster.

Apparently so.
"The Bureau’s Victim/Witness Notification Program was established as a result of the 1982 Victims and Witness Protection Act, the 1994 Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act, and the Attorney General’s Guidelines for Victims and Witness Assistance. A major goal of these directives is to ensure all law enforcement agencies advise victims and witnesses of critical stages in the criminal justice process. In 2002, to respond to the needs of crime victims and witnesses, the Bureau implemented the automated and free service called the Victim Notification System (VNS) in cooperation with the Federal Bureau of Investigation and the Executive Office for the U.S. Attorneys’ office. In 2004, the U.S. Postal Inspection Service became a partner in the system. "

She might still be covered since he was stalking her. Was he charged for that?
Even so, in many states you can simply sign up to get notifications any time someone is released. VINE works for state prisons. Is there a federal version of it?

Plus, regardless of any of that. Considering how well known both of them are, I can’t imagine it would have been possible for him to be released without her knowing about it. Even if she wasn’t a celebrity, someone that attempted to assassinate a sitting president, being released from jail is newsworthy.
I know she personally avoids (at least publically) anything involving him, surely a friend or other person in her life would let her know.

Oh, no doubt she’s got a lawyer or someone who would keep tabs on something like this and keep her informed.

I feel like when he was originally released, Jodie Foster made a statement or was involved in a parole hearing or something. I’m not sure what I thinking of, but while trying to look it up, I see that Jodie declined to make a statement when he was released. “Declined” implying a news outlet reached out to her. Ignoring everything else, naturally she was going to have journalists reaching out to her and she would have found out that way. I’m sure they all called her for a statement again now.

I also see on his wiki page that, when he was released, some of his prohibitions involved her. He can’t collect/save pictures or articles about her and he can’t contact her, her family or her agent. So, regardless of whether or not she was technically a victim in the eyes of the law, she’s clearly entangled in his case and she was almost certainly contacted from time to time by whoever was supervising him to ask her if he’s attempted to contact her.

True, I worded my post badly, sorry. I just was a bit surprised that they aren’t worried about keeping an eye on him anymore.

There is a free website where any “concerned citizen” can register to receive custody status updates of anyone in US custody. I use it to keep track of a family member who is always in and out of jail for drug related crimes. I haven’t checked if it covers federal custody or just state/local

Hinckley is trying to make it as a musician. Go figure.

Anyway, he was going to host a concert. The venue was promoting it with the message that even people who have committed crimes, or have mental health problems, deserve second chances.

After tremendous backlash, they cancelled his appearance. Basically, they said (paraphrasing) “People are crazy, and this isn’t a hill we’re willing to die on. We still believe that people deserve second chances, but this isn’t the person we’re going to promote as the example.”

ETA: per a recent tweet from Hinckley, he’s had three venues cancel on him. Geez, dude, it’s almost like killing John Lennon made you persona non grata amongst the music set.

Umm, Hinckley shot Reagan while Mark David Chapman killed Lennon.

Umm, you’re right.

Hey look! :chipmunk:

Exactly. Have you seen or heard of any Mark David Chapman concerts in the last 40-some years?