U.S. Senate races 2020

Huh. Yeah, those appear for me now, too.

I am worried in Colorado. Note as you read below I am a Republican.
In this state it seems you can’t walk 2 feet without tripping over a Cory Gardner sign. whereas I have seem very few John Hickenlooper.

Gardner cannot be allowed to win another term as Senator!

Hickenlooper (D) would make an awesome Senator for our state while getting rid of that condescending jackass Gardner. Gardner has the worst aspect of Republicanism in that he believes that the Bible should run this country and not the Constitution.

Mitch McConnell is very concerned that the country will see an outbreak of democracy if he loses the Majority Leader position.

“Every single Democratic Senate challenger is committed to getting rid of the filibuster. What does that mean to the American people? They want to turn the Senate into the House so things can be done quickly with simple majorities. And here’s what they’re going to do. After they change the filibuster, they’re going to admit the district as a state. They’re going to admit Puerto Rico as a state. That’s four new Democratic senators in perpetuity. And once they get a hammerlock on the Senate they’re going to then pack the Supreme Court, the Circuit Courts and the Districts Courts by creating new vacancies, filling them with judicial activists. And then they’ll do what they always do, turn to the economy and overtax and over-regulate – and even if the public reacts two years later, a lot of damage will be done. The way to make sure that doesn’t happen is to keep me as the majority leader, the firewall against disaster. If I’m the majority leader, we’re not going to have two new states, we’re not going to pack the courts, and we’re going to do everything we can to prevent them from completely reversing the Tax Reform Act of 2017.”

Mitch worried about Dems “packing the courts” is pretty delicious.

Donor cash surges to Harrison, the Democrat taking on Graham:

538 still shows Graham as a heavy favorite tho.

After tonight’s tragic news about RBG’s passing, I expect that Susan Collins is preparing to retreat to a secluded bunker in the backwoods of Maine and avoid all press and public contact until the election.

Unfortunately, the vacancy on SCOTUS will now become a political football of the first magnitude. A friend shared a tweet with me: “Who would have thought that the Constitution needed an 87-year-old load-bearing woman?”

It may be that just enough Republican senators in tight races will feel sufficient public pressure not to move forward in filling the vacancy that the seat will remain open until after the election. I bet we’re going to be hearing the name of Judge Merrick Garland a lot in the next few months.

Different approaches by some at risk R Senators…

Classy…

Assy…

Time will tell if they get on the same page.

Here’s an interesting wrinkle…

Should Mark Kelly win the AZ special election over Martha McSally he could take his seat the next time senate meets after his election is certified. That could be as early as November 30.

That IS interesting, and is sure to effect Mitch’s calculus. Does the same apply in the Georgia special election?

This is the same woman who as a Congressmember in 2016 called Trump ‘disgusting’ for his grab 'em by the pussy comment, went full Trumpet when she ran for senator in 2018 and lost, then got appointed to fill McCain’s seat in December 2018.

You’d think she’d learn that Trump’s coattails are increasingly tattered by now in Arizona, but no-o-o-o, she has to double and even triple down since then. I’m picturing a remora attached to a dead shark being dragged into the depths by it.

I think McSally accepts that she’s toast this election and is looking toward the future. She’s still relatively young, and if she wants a future in the Republican firmament (as a candidate, lobbyist or Fox News contributor) she needs to get on board with jamming this nomination through.

I think if no one get’s over 50% of the vote on November 3rd in the Georgia special, that it goes to a runoff of the top two on January 5, 2021. Since there was no primary for this race it has multiple Democrats and Republicans on the November 3rd ballot and no one is polling anywhere near 50%. So it is probably going to a runoff. However, that runoff may be between two Republicans, Doug Collins and Kelly Loeffler.

Oh, well then that may not end up making any difference. I assume Loeffler continues to serve until the runoff is over, and Mitch will have to schedule the vote before then. The new Senate begins its session on January 4.

Here in NC right now according to Nate Silver we are rare state where the senate race is close. If it stays this way until mid October I will think Tillis could lose .

Crystal Ball moved the Maine senate race from toss-up to Leans D this morning.

As of today, Nate Silver’s projections show Democrats flipping Maine, Arizona, Colorado and North Carolina, and Republicans flipping Alabama - for a net D+3, making the Senate 50-50.

NC, SC, Iowa, Montana and even Kansas are all also within reach with huge Dem turnouts.

Just be grateful you’re not living in Kentucky, bombarded with competing ads from the Senate candidates.

By diligently perusing campaign flyers, I’ve learned that on the one hand, Mitch McConnell is like, really, really old, and Amy McGrath practically won the War single-handed. While on the other hand, McGrath is so radical she wants to confiscate our babies for Antifa cookouts.

It’s gonna be a tough choice.

We spent a week near Savannah, GA a few weeks ago. They get 2 Senate races, AND the occasional South Carolina Senate race ad.

Crystal Ball has also changed the South Carolina senate contest from Likely R to Leans R. I just don’t know if there are enough SC voters willing to ever vote Dem but who knows what could happen in a blue wave election?