U.S. Senate races 2020

He graduated in 1986. It seems to me that Hitler costumes were more common in the eighties, as a joke to demean the tyrant, and given how recent and raw the wounds of WWII were, very few people took them as support for Hitler.

He has an identical twin brother. He could always throw him under the bus.

Kidding aside, these so NOT appear to be photos of Mark Kelly.

Tweet from Kelly campaign comms guy…

“I attended the Merchant Marine Academy with Mark. I attended this event. This is not Mark in any of these photos.” - Jennifer Boykin, US Merchant Marine Academy '86

“I attended the Merchant Marine Academy with Mark. I attended this event as well and am in this photo. This is a group from 2nd company. Mark was not in 2nd Company, and that is not him in these photos.” - Ed McDonald, US Merchant Marine Academy '86

Whew!

Like Fox News and the Trump campaign will give a shit about that.

It’s a good thing that Martha McSally is worse than Hitler.

Only in the sense that she’s alive and Hitler isn’t so she is currently more capable of doing bad things that Hitler can’t. Otherwise, no.

Even meant as a joke, that’s gonna be a “no” from me, dawg.

The most pleasing outcome in Kentucky would surely be for McConnell to win, then die immediately. The governor is a Democrat.

I don’t like to wish death on anyone, so let’s just say that immediately after the election Mitch realizes the inestimable value of human life and resigns to spend his remaining time on Earth in the bosom of friends and family.

In that case, Democratic Governor Andy Beshear would indeed appoint someone to fill the seat pending a special election in 2022. And unlike some states that require the appointee to be of the same party as the incumbent, he’s free to appoint whomever he likes.

In Arizona, while the governor would pick the replacement in such a case, he is obligated to select someone in the same party as the deceased and furthermore, the appointment needs to be affirmed by the voters at the next election and will be until the seat is up again in the next rotation.

This is why McSally is facing a challenge this year. McCain was reelected to his 6th term in 2016 to serve from 2017 through 2023. In August, 2018 he died and Kyl was appointed to fill the rest of the term. McSally ran for senate in the 2018 and lost to Sinema. In December 2018 Kyl abruptly resigned and governor Ducey appointed McSally in time for inauguration day.

Whether McSally or Kelly prevails this year, the term ends in 2023.

I’m with flurb. I don’t wish death upon MConnell. What I do wish for him is that he serve out his term as minority leader in a senate where the filibuster has been removed.

“I have never wished anyone dead, but I have read some obituaries with a great deal of satisfaction.” - Clarence Darrow (attrib.)

Hey! that thread is over in GQ, down the hall on the left.

Article I came across that posits the Republicans will be happy to lose. They have no interest in running the country, just want to be the obstuctionist minority. I find this very plausible.

So if I were to use my good occupational fortune these past few years to make my first ever campaign contribution in the hopes of flipping the Senate, where should I concentrate? I’m assuming my money will still be welcome at this point.

North Carolina and Maine. Maybe Iowa.

Tillis and Cunningham seem to have enough money to flood the airwaves with ads. Sometimes they run back to back. Also Biden and Trump have many ads. Finally getting ads from candidates for state house and senate. I don’t think the GOP guy for governor , Forest, is running many ads , nobody expects him to win running against a popular Dem incumbent Cooper. Forest has a lot of road signs.

“Run Forest Run” is one of the dumber campaign slogans I’ve ever encountered.

Meanwhile, Madison Cawthorn, the candidate for my district, is very likely to win, even though he’s been publicly disavowed by over 150 of his fellow students at a conservative Christian college, because he was sexually aggressive (possibly criminally so), and a complete fraud. Goddamn, rural WNC!

He’s also been in the news recently for attacking a critic for “working for non-white males like Corey Booker who want to destroy white males.” He blamed it on an error in “syntax.”