UK EU In/Out referendum-:Polling day thread.

My husband voted “remain / aros.”

The envelope was specifically marked for overseas voters, and said that no stamp was required in English and French (no Welsh). The ballot was English and Welsh (no French), so it seemed pretty clearly designed for Canada / international norms, as opposed to Welsh. Canada post insisted on a stamp. No big deal, but I wonder if any votes got lost because they believed the envelope and failed to stamp it.

I sent in my postal ballot (Remain) a couple of weeks ago.

Knowing nothing other than what I’ve read on the interwebs, I’m predicting a 7% remain victory as the undecideds decide to stick with the devil they know.

I keep seeing stories of floods and snarled transport in London. I hope these are isolated and it doesn’t affect turnout.

I think remain will win the day. The Scottish referendum result tells us that faced between the status quo which many people are unhappy with for ideological reasons vs a jump into the unknown, the status quo will prevail.

Voted. Very quiet in our W. London polling station. No floods though.

This. I really hope this is the last referendum the UK holds for a very long time indeed.

When will we know?

I’m fairly confident “remain” will win. But keep in mind, folks, this is a non-binding referendum. Right?

I’m not sure in the UK there’s a mechanism to have a truly consitutionally-binding referendum, but either way the result is politically-binding and whatever the outcome you can be sure that is what will happen.

About 0400 depending on turnout, which I hope is a high one.

Anyone else hear about this ‘bring your own pen’ shit?

This is my prediction too. And that the consequences of today’s vote will be similar-ish to that in Scotland. Today’s vote will not be the end of the issue, rather the end of the beginning. I believe another referendum on Brexit is out of the question but the discontent is still there and will be capitalized on by someone; most likely ukip in the form of Parliamentary & local government pressure rather than via a referendum.

That sounds about right to me. I was undecided up until a couple of weeks ago, and decided to vote Remain for that reason. I’ve heard plenty of people say the same, and no-one say that they’ve switched to Leave.

Come on, voters of leave-which-I’m-pretty-sure-there-are-some-here, fight the peer pressure and tell us how it went!

Same thing happened during the indy ref. There’s also the same “Follow the vans carrying the ballot boxes so that they go straight to the counting centre!!” thing going around online.

One more to expect tonight: “That’s a Leave vote bundled on the Remain table!!!”, complete with photos. Well, the photo isn’t lying, but the first thing that is done at the count is to bundle all the votes from each set of boxes into batches of 50, to make sure that the number of ballots issued is the same as the number returned to the counting centre. The photo will be from this point in the evening. MI5 are nowhere to be seen.

Another ‘liberal elite’ Remain voter here.

The loudest Leave proponent in my office said yesterday that she remembered the days before we were in the EU, back when English was spoken in our schools. I did point out that the referendum wasn’t actually a time-machine, to no avail.

I would like to stubbornly watch the BBC coverage until I know the verdict, but need to go to work tomorrow; either angrily, or jubilant (but still pretty angry).

Voted first thing in the morning. In my north London neighbourhood, where the very street that I live on has explicitly (if somewhat inexplicably) been described by no less than the New Yorker - fact-checkers and all - as “leafy” a few years back.

The oddity this morning was a mismatch in queues. As per usual, they order the streets involved alphabetically and then split them in two. If your street’s in the first half, you join that queue for that desk, if it’s in the second half then you join that other one. That normally seems to work okay, but this morning one queue was at least a hundred people long, while the other was only half a dozen. Never seen that before and it was the longest I’ve ever had to queue - say fifteen minutes - in order to vote. Suspect it’s a reflection of a very high turnout.

Central London has had iffy weather through most of the day, culminating in astonishingly Biblical rainfall just before five (Parliament Square was pretty much a pond for a bit). But I don’t think it lasted long enough to be any sort of crucial factor.

When do the polls close?

Some major transport delays for people leaving London though. And some turnout reports coming in already, of about 70% area.

BrainBlutton, polls closed at 10pm.

That’s 5pm in Florida.

Why do you say this? You don’t like actual democracy?

I’m not British so my opinion does not count, just some rebel American. But I would have voted to leave.

But then I’m like 80% of Americans who would tend to favor more national sovereignty vs surrendering authority to some European superstate.

http://www.forbes.com/forbes/welcome/

Canadians are for brexit, so are Aussies, but the Euro nations?

Spain/France/Germany/Italy/etc they all want the UK to stay in. I know why the wealthier nations want them to, they don’t want to be left with the tab for buoying up the rest of the eurozone.

Pity, I hoped better for you all as it looks like you will vote to stay. Welcome to the European superstate, I hope you like the direction it takes you.