Unclean! Unclean!

That asshole bigot Pastor Fred Phelps is in my city right now. In fact, he’s two blocks from the entrance to my office building, on the same street. I can’t believe he’s here, and I can’t believe our local Fox affiliate gave him air time this morning.

He’s here to picket at the Methodist conference going on, which seems fairly superfluous, since the convention has already rejected several proposed changes to the church’s policies regarding homosexuality and same-sex marriage.

Frankly, I would not shed a bitter tear if someone shot the man right in the head or clubbed him to death today.

Please excuse my ignorance but who is Fred Phelps?

Nobody in Topeka would, either.

Really Phil? I didnt even know he was here. Huh. Glad we’re both outta this city soon anyway…

Fred Phelps and his little merry band (mostly his own relatives) are the most vitrolic anti-gay religious bigots this planet has ever known. Although there are very few of 'em, they seem to be everywhere, and, alas, they usually get some coverage. They’ve been known to protest at, as above, denominational conferences, gay pride festivals (they were at the Millenium March on Washington two weeks ago), and their most infamous protest was at Matthew Sheppard’s funeral, the gay Wyoming student beaten to death and left to die on a fencepost last year. Their most egregious website, which I hesitate to give, is http://www.godhatesfags.com (please feel free to also check out http://www.godlovesfags.com if you feel queasy afterwards). Their signs say, “God Hates Fags,” “Matt Sheppard is in Hell,” and other such heartwarming slogans. They are decidedly the most un-Christian people I think I’ve ever heard of, at least during my own lifetime.

Surprisingly, though, they’re not hypocrites. Phelps truly believes in a wrathful, vengeful God, and truly believes that homosexuals will not make it into Heaven without changing their wicked ways, so, in his own twisted little reality, he really feels that he’s out there doing God’s work and saving souls that would otherwise burn for eternity in Hell. Weird, but at least consistent.

Esprix

Well Esp, Im sure there are gay people who are just as militant against straight people…

It is also entirely possible that the Reverend (sic) himself is gay, a la Senator Joseph McCarthy’s lap dog, Roy Cohn, Esq.

Handy, there are, but most of the gay people like most of the straight people aren’t. I do have to say that I have never heard of any “straight bashing” coming about from gay militants like “gay bashing” coming about from Fred Phelch’s group.

I did see his group out during the Equality Rocks concert. It was more interesting during the march to see the many groups of people that had their protest signs saying “We forgive your hypocricy (sp?) Fred Phelch” and gives dates when he was arrested for cruising public rest stops for sex. If I remember correctly, the dates were in the late 60s.

HUGS!
Sqrl

From Esprix:

Actually, Esprix, the sad part is . . . well, I can’t convey the level of atrocity myself, so I’ll let him tell it:

**Do you ever pray for the salvation of those who you feel are condemned? **

Of course not! For, if we follow (as we ought) the example of our Saviour and the clear commandment of God, we would not dare to do so.

**Didn’t Jesus die for everyone? **

No. Jesus died only for His sheep (John 10). His church (Ephesians 5:25). His elect (I Peter 1:2). If He died for everyone, everyone would go to heaven. All sins of all people would be forgiven. But obviously, all sins aren’t forgiven, because people are burning in hell.

**What do you think of Jews? **

The only true Jews are Christians. The rest of the people who claim to be Jews aren’t, and they are nothing more than typical, impenitent sinners, who have no Lamb. As evidence of their apostacy, the vast majority of Jews support fags. Of course, there are Jews who still believe God’s law, but most of them have even departed from that.

**Have any homosexuals repented as a result of your picketing? **

Yes, but this doesn’t matter. Christianity is not a game, consisting of who can get the most people to repent. Our job is simply to preach, and by the foolishness of our preaching, we hope that people will be saved. However, Jesus is the Savior, not us. No man can come unto Him unless the Father in heaven draws him, and He will call His sheep. Remember, Noah preached for 120 years and convinced nobody, and by that righteous preaching, he condemned the world.

I’ve known a lot of gay people in my life. The worst attitude towards straight people I’ve ever seen in a gay person is “amused tolerance”. Gay people have their own share of neuroses, but even among the radical feminist lesbian set, I’ve never seen anyone muster up 1/1000 of the vicious, venomous hatred that I’ve seen so often from garden-variety homophobes.

handy wrote:

If there are, I haven’t met them. I know some gay people who refer to “straight” things with a sneer, but I’ve never heard of “breeder bashing.” Even the most militant gay activists I have knowledge of have always been peaceful demonstrators and are anti-violence. I have, however, met a few gun-toting lesbians, but their reasons are self-defense, not homicide. There are anti-gay bigots who openly condone violence against queers.

Libertarian wrote:

And then SqrlCub wrote:

Wow, I did not know this! Certainly explains a lot. This should go in the “Hompophobes are closeted homosexuals?” thread in GD.

SqrlCub also wrote:

:eek: You were there? And you didn’t say hi? I’m shocked! :smiley:

pldennison wrote:

Yup. A friend of mine went to his site as a matter of being fair, and clued me in to this - no matter what we might say about him, he’s certainly a steadfast believer. This new information about his possible sexual transgressions leads me to shy away from saying he’s not a hypocrite, though.

Personally, I just think he has atrocious taste in clothing. :wink:

Esprix

Y’know, I wish there WERE an afterlife, just so Fred Phelps and his ilk could have the surprise of waking up in hell.

I just want to go on record as saying…AAARRRGGHHHH!!!
The fact that the man continues to exist makes me wonder about humanity. Positively frightening.

heck, there’s still hope (so to speak)…

even if you don’t acknowledge an afterlife as such, there’s always the Law of Three-Fold Returns, that usually comes to bite you in the ass during this go-around. if i wasn’t worried about accidently invoking bad karma, i’d mention specific things that should happen to/befall the happy little bigot. but what was true of the old classic movies remains true now: the horrors you supply with your own imagination can easily outstrip any graphic depiction or description.
:smiley:

Fred Phelps, a basket full of hungry mice, and a whole lot of cardboard tubes, and lighters.

Won’t that donkey felcher Phelps be surprised when he gets to heaven only to find out that Jesus is gay…

Surgoshan: LOVE the image… but can they be RATS instead of mice? Sharper teeth… plague infested… with fleas that carry heartworms and Lyme disease. Yeah!

:smiley: E.

Fortunately, they’re not… that goes to the Taliban of Afghanistan, who bury gay people up to their necks in sand and then pull a brick wall down on them.