Undercharged on the Bill, What Do You Do?

I’d tell them, even though something like this caused me huge embarrassment in the past; I paid for a couple of drinks and the barman gave me change from £20, even though I was sure I’d only handed over £5. To his credit, he was adamant that I’d given him a twenty, but for some reason, I had it in my mind that there had not been a twenty in my wallet (the notes are different colours and sizes, I reasoned, I would have noticed).

Anyway, he decided to cash up and reconcile the till, which was spot on - I had paid with a £20 after all - he was right. There was, by now, a reasonable sized crowd of people watching and rolling their eyes at me. This happened fifteen years ago and yet my face is burning red right now just thinking about it.

But yes, I don’t like being short changed, I don’t like the idea of the cashier getting trouble over short cash - if I notice, I’ll say so.

I guess I’m a crook, because if they make an error in my favor I’m not going to correct it. I would probably assume they knew what they were doing and cut me a deal on the drinks, that kind of stuff happens all the time in bars.

To be honest, although I automatically correct store staff and give them the correct money, I may think about keeping the extra in a restaurant or bar. Over the years I have had to get the bill rectified lots of times in restaurants and whatever error I’ve found was in favour of the restaurant. At a guess groups I have been in have been overcharged 10 to 20 times. I have never been undercharged.

Until I started splitting bills with workmates and started to discover trhe constant errors, I had never bothered checking bills so I’m sure I’m owed a few.

I agree.
I’ve been on both sides of the bar, and people make honest mistakes (on both sides of the bar).
Better to pay what is owed and go home, than go home thinking you “got one over”.
Of course, when I’m drinking, I usually need someone to point out the mistake!

I always point it out, and I’d say that about 50% of the time, I’m told, “Don’t worry about it,” when it’s drinks. In which case, I tip on what the total should have been.

When it’s food, the staff will recaculate it – but every so often they’ll take drinks off as a way of saying “Thank you.” I never expect it, which may be why it happens so often to me.

I think it’s good karma, ethical behavior, etc. And it makes me feel good.

Working with the premise that I noticed - 'cause I usually don’t count how many beers I drink or even check the bill - if I noticed, I would tell the wait-staff.

Hmm, I usually go to the same bar and run a tab. I figure that I do get free drinks and don’t point it out. But, I don’t complain if the tab is higher than I thought either.

For example, my friend yesterday won half of the football pool. He has a very “easy come easy go” attitude and the money from the pool went to pay my tab as well as the tabs of several other regulars at the bar. Since I know he makes far more than I do, I certainly didn’t complain.