Unfortunate College Nicknames

Can’t fool me. That’s just a good ole Dogpatch shmoo spray-painted red.

There’s a high school near me whose teams are called the ‘Baymen’. The girls teams are the ‘Lady Baymen’.

Here in Orange County we have the Anteaters!

http://www.uci.edu/athletics.shtml

While officially it may be “Rip 'em 'Eaters,” unofficially it is “Slip them the tongue!”

The University of Alabama, Tuskaloser, (UAT) has the nickname “Cringin’ Turds” but has an elephant mascot.

Oh, well; I guess when your nickname is Cringin’ Turd it’s necessary to have some big strong animal to balance things out.

Has South Carolina ever played Oregon State? I’d love to here them announce, “The Cocks are up against the Beavers tonight!”

Don’t know about that, but the Beavers emasculated the Trojans last year.

And their fight song… I’m having trouble breathing, I’m laughing so hard:

…Siphon high, squirt it out,
swivel all about,
let it all hang out…

And I must know about the Wonderboys: What’s the secret of their powers?

The NYU Violets.

No really.

But then NYU is not really known for it’s team sports.

[hijack to the OP] I spent years swimming in Cantamont Pond in NH. I had to walk down hill to get there. And there where no cougars. I feel cheated. [/hijack]

I’m very proud of my alma mater, but I have to say, the Carnegie Mellon team name is pretty pathetic–The Tartans. Our team is named for a plaid. Ooooh! We’re gonna come CLASH with you! :rolleyes:

I was complaining about this to my brother one day. He pointed out that as he went to the University of Pennsylvania, his team was named for a peace-loving brotherhood. While not as lame as The Tartans (IMHO), I had to admit that a name like The Quakers wasn’t exactly intimidating.

I grew up partially in Hampton Bays, and the team names never struck me as weird. Still don’t.

The Geoducks, however…That has to be the most hilarious mascot I’ve ever seen. And I really want to know how that fight song goes! (I wonder if I can get a t-shirt…)

There is also the unfortunate side-effect of the rallying cry, “No one can lick our Cocks.”

How sad for them.

From [here.](Comin Soon | Truely)

College of the Atlantic Black Files
Delta State Fighting Okra
Erskine Flying Feet
North Carolna School of the Arts Fighting Pickles
Trinity Christian Trolls

High School
Live Oak Mighty Fighting Acorns

Our high school mascot was the Highlanders, and it was a guy with a kilt and bagpipe.

The football team completely disregarded this, and were the Wolfpack instead.

I love the internet.

Geoduck Fight Song (direct link to mp3) or go here and select “Geoduc Fight Song.mp3”.

The song starts about 1:50 minutes in.

Well, I was referring to Oyster Bay; didn’t realize Hampton Bays’ teams had the same name.

How about the Smithtown Lady Bulls?

The University of Rochester is well known as the only school whose mascot is an insect (Yellowjackets) and school flower is a weed (dandelion).

I went to Benjamin Franklin High School and our official nickname was the Quakers. Really.

And those were the days before irony.

It’s not college, but the Hickman High Kewpies is kindof a ridiculous name/mascot.

Scottsdale Community College Fighting Artichokes

USC’s choice of mascot is unfortunate in two ways, the obvious one being that they share the name with the brand of condoms as noted above. However, they are actually named after the Trojans of the Iliad, a group of people famous for losing a war.

Come now, how can anyone beat The Fighting Terps?

It is a freakin’ turtle, people! Further, people from other places do not realize they are the Terps.

Gotta love the artwork Fear the Turtle! , indeed.

Yeah, but did you “come across” any catamites?