Unfortunate College Nicknames

Pistols at dawn, sir!

Not so much unfortunate as intentional, but there’s the Macon Whoopee.

Suspecting this might be a typo, I checked for the possibility it might actually be Black Flies and located this:

College nicknames that have offended no one, for any idle minds that want to know

And here I was thinking geoduck was the name of a pokemon.

And I agree, USC means and will always mean University of South Carolina.

Well, the women’s teams at USC (the real one) are the Lady Gamecocks, which is, of course, an animal husbandry conundrum.

While Kent State’s lame nickname has already been mentioned, Ohio has some other very weak names:

Youngstown State’s Penguins
Akron Zips
Baldwin-Wallace College Yellow Jackets
John Carroll University Blue Streaks
Muskingum College Fighting Muskies
The Zips are actually represented by kangaroo named “Zippy.” Shamelessly ripping off Maryland’s “Fear the Turtle” slogan, Akron now sells "Fear the Roo t-shirts. I have one.

Yep. My alma mater too. We would joke about it: “Penn: Home of the Fighting Quakers!”

My friends of mine and I at the UU church in Atlanta used to joke about fielding a community softball team called the “Fighting Catamites.” But we never got around to it.

They do, but alas, in an uncharacteristic burst of common sense, they’ve used the "Golden Suns " as their nickname for over 30 years (they were formerly the “Wonderettes”, which no doubt lead to them being mistaken for a Motown vocal group at times). Apparently, the idea of unifying the schools teams under a single “athletic brand” is an area of contention currently on campus: 404 | Arkansas Tech University .

Years ago, Austin Peay had a pretty flashy player named James “Fly” Williams who was pretty much the main man on the basketball team.

During basketball games, the home crowd liked to engage in the following cheer:

“The Fly is open,
Let’s go Peay!”

My sister went to the University of Richmond…home of the Spiders! I kind of like it…it’s definitely unique.

I’ve made this EXACT post, word for word before.

It’s not that sad, while I was in college our football team was 1-22 over a two year stretch. Everyone was beating our Cocks then.

Probably the most unfortunate nickname belonged not to a college, but to a high school: the athletic teams of Pekin High School, in Pekin, Illinois, were the Pekin Chinks!

From the Wikipedia site about Pekin:

Presbyterian College in Clinton, South Carolina are the Blue Hose. The University of Delaware are the Blue Hens Now that Presbyterian and Delaware are both in Divison 1-AA of the NCAA, we can only hope for a match up between the Blue Hose and the Blue Hens!

My brother’s alma mater is Whitman College, in Walla Walla, Washington.

They’re the Fighting Missionaries. Hence, their cheer:

Missionaries, Missionaries, We’re On Top!

What about actual college names? Arcadia University in southeastern PA was until recently named Beaver College. And it was founded as a women’s college.

I went to Tulane whose mascot is the Green Wave. It is odd and a little abstract but the concept really breaks down when you need a live mascot at football games and things. The live mascot is a person in a giant Gumby suit.

I went to grad school at Dartmouth whose mascot is just the “Big Green” so I guess I was riding a theme.

Ah, when i think of all the people I’ve come across in my life…and all the people who have come across me…

sigh

Nothin’s lamer than the Whittier College Poets.

“Oohh! Look out! They’ll scan us!”

There’s a high school in my hometown where the teams are the “Rams”- and the girls’ teams are the “Lady Rams.”

Apparently the women’s teams at Western Illinois U. didn’t want to be Leathernecks (bulldogs, not Marines) so they’re the Westerwinds. Don’t know what the mascot is, though.