Unfortunately, I think the media is setting up Trump for a big win on Hydroxychloroquine.

I’ve heard it can cause patients on dialysis to grow new kidneys.

That is fair, but what if there are 20 other drugs that are more promising, you need a minimum study size of 1000 patients per drug, and you can only give the drug to someone who is in or approaching the need for critical care (e.g. about 5% of all people who contract the illness)?

Should we boost this one because the President decided that it’s amazing - for unknown reasons - and drop one of the lower of the better 20? Or should we just test the 20 - on the basis that the President is a daytime TV show host not a doctor - because that’s all we can get enough test patients for?

Moved to Politics and Elections.

Colibri
Quarantine Zone Moderator

turnop is seeking to personally benefit from the drug. So there’s that.

See posts #88 and #106.

Well, the Humpback whale population has rebounded, so maybe they actually do have a point?

Does anyone know the numbers on how many people get the various side effects of hydroxychloroquine?

And meanwhile, people who need it for autoimmune diseases can’t get it. :mad:

Are you implying that about me or the media?

This was just casual talk between friends regarding his clinical experience. He’s comparing recovery rates before and after he began using Plaquenil. He’s not exactly putting it up for peer review. But when many scientifically-minded people develop an intuition that a drug is working when they know full well the tendency of the human mind to see patterns where there are none, I’m listening. I can’t expect the others in this thread to trust my judgement on the judgment of these doctors which is why I didn’t want this to be about the efficacy of Plaquenil (though I certainly understand why it went there).

Corn husks, I tell ya! CORN HUSKS ALL OVER YOUR FACE!

What do you have to lose?

It’s human nature for people to want magic bullet solutions to frightening, complex problems. It’s the job of a leader to discourage magic bullet thinking.

Instead we have a president who not only does the opposite, but may trying to profit from it.

But it won’t matter, because – as we’ve seen countless times – if something goes well, 35% of the country will give Trump the credit for it, and if it goes badly they’ll blame Democrats. So they’ll proclaim Trump a hero for promoting a drug that helps three people beat COVID-19, and blame Democrats for denying it to the teemiing millions.

I find the miraculous recovery anecdotes suspect as well, but as far as overall success rates, I wouldn’t be surprised if a drug that blocked penetration of host cells was significantly more successful than one that inhibited enzymes involved in replication (like most antivirals).

Just FYI, there was research on Chloroquine Phosphate that showed results before Plaquenil got involved. You can’t see hard numbers but there was a study in China that used 100 patients that seemed to convince everyone there to make it standard treatment.

https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/bst/advpub/0/advpub_2020.01047/_pdf

I’d be easier to convince if this drug that blocks penetration of host cells had worked against other viruses with similar host cells. Of if there was a theory as to why it could stop the replication of COVID cells when it failed to stop the replication of flu cells.

And I’d be even easier to convince if the evidence came through reputable sources instead of doctors calling into Fox News. I’d give more weight to a properly peer reviewed article published in a medical journal than a YouTube video.

Dr Oz’s history of promoting unproven therapies will cause me to be suspicious of anything he promotes, ever. Including his promotion of Donald Trump.

Donald Trump is truly in his element when he’s literally selling snake oil. He knows how to do this and he’s even pulling over people that should know better than to believe anything that comes out of that man’s mouth.

This whole thing is completely ridiculous, the ultimate conclusion of Trumpism. This is one half step away from colloidal silver / shark cartilage /emu oil level quackery - just wrapped in white coats and garnished with some flawed reports.

And the right wing eats up this crap. I’ve tried to figure out why, then I realized I was overthinking it. It’s simply that most conservatives are really really stupid.

You mean those yellow-flower shrubs growing everywhere? Did I miss an inside joke?

I think this is a little unfair. I don’t see conservatives as being abjectly stupid.

I do see that they seem to have zero mental defenses against being baited by supposed “insider information, so secret that the experts don’t even know about it!!!”. I guess they’re so allergic to feeling powerless and clueless that they instinctively reach for these comfort objects from familiar personalities.

You seem to really be ignoring that there is some data. Real data. Not perfect. Did you see the studies on Chloroquine Phosphate that I linked too? 10 Hospitals, 100 patients, enough data to convince doctors in China to make it standard treatment. This isn’t remotely quackery unless 72% of drs in Spain and front line doctors taking it prophylacticly in NYC are all quacks. And the reason CP and Plaquenil haven’t worked in other viruses is because the “novel” aspect of this virus is that it attaches to ACE-2 which is why is gets deep into the alveoli.

I have just as much contempt for Trump and the right as you do but I don’t let it affect my judgement.

My dad was a doctor and smoked cigarettes from ages 15-65. Maybe cigarettes aren’t so bad.

Nobody should care if doctors are taking it proactively. We should be caring whether it seems effective. So tell me, are Spanish doctors getting infected less with a 72% adoption of this treatment? (not that I buy that without a cite)

Wow what are the odds.