Unique Potato Chip Flavors

The ones I get are Tim’s Cascade brand, and I usually find them at Safeway here in California.

Yep, it was the early 1980’s and IIRC the company got in trouble with trading standards because originally they were really pork fat flavoured (false advertising) so they had to do a little research and create a more realistic flavour.

I once read of a British restaraunt that was marketing porcupine-flavored chips. They had to stop when too many people complained.

Damn, guess I should have read the last few posts.

Lay’s makes their Bistro Gourmet Potato Chips in Peppercorn Ranch, Sharp Cheddar & Jalapeno, Roasted Garlic & Herb, and Applewood BBQ & Smoke Cheddar. I don’t like spicy food, but I will eat an entire bag of any of these. Go figure.

As mentioned by several other people, Tim’s has a bunch of unusual flavors, including:

Cajun
Cracked Peppercorn (really good, but they make you really thirsty)
Grilled Steak & Onion
Parmesan & Garlic (oddly, not as good as it sounds)
Zesty Dill Pickle (I like them, but no one else in my office did)

I think they must have discontinued the Coney Island flavor, as it’s not on their website. I didn’t even get to try them. :frowning:

And how exactly would they know what was more realistic? How would their customers know either?

There’s been a number of joke-flavour crisps like this. No-one seriously expects them to taste of the animal on the packet. They’re usually some kind of generic spiced meat flavour. After all, very few of the flavours actually derive from what’s quoted on the packet.

Here’s an interesting question. Which of the following do you think is permissible in a vegetarian diet?

Steak ‘n’ Onion
Cheese ‘n’ Onion

The Steak ‘n’ Onion. No animal produce has ever been within 100 miles of them. The Cheese ‘n’ Onion, however, has rennet in the cheese flavouring.

Futile Gesture, from an article at Hedgehog Crisps and St. Tiggywinkles

Gotta love Google :smiley:

Ummm…look at the beginning of my post… I said “salt and vinegar” is a standard US flavor. It was more the “balsamic vinegar” part which was a bit odd.

They have Buffalo Wings flavored chips in Chicago? Wow, I’ll make sure to look for them next time I’m stateside. This must be a new thing, as I don’t remember seeing them four years ago.

As for Dill Pickle chips, either Lays or Vitner’s in Chicago had something called “Dill and Vinegar,” which I imagine is the same as Dill Pickle chips.

As for Lime and Chile…mmm!!! I’ve actually been known to squeeze fresh lime juice and powdered chiles on my fries and chips. (chips and crisps to you British-influenced lot.) Also try it on corn on the cob! They do this is Mexico and it is orgasmic.

My personal fav is Wise Garlic and onion. I think Toms makes a Dill flavored chip.

Octopus. Who’da thunk it?

Nobody has mentioned Zapps yet?