Unique things you have done

I was the only person to ever get a perfect score in the test Ohio State freshman Architecture students have to take.

I urinated into the Atlantic Ocean (NYC) and the Pacific (SF) on the same day.

I accidentally walked in on Alan Greenspan sitting on the toilet in Ayn Rand’s apartment.

I ate a dinner of Clif bars and Oreos in a composting toilet about 1200’ below the north rim of the Grand Canyon, considered sheltering there for the night, then finished hiking out by flashlight.

I’ve gone swimming here. Now, I wasn’t alone at the time, but I imagine those of us on the ship that day are the only people who’ve ever been swimming in that particular spot.

Pardon the pun, but you’re shitting me? Wow.

aaaaaannnd, I’ve lost my appetite.

My senior year of high school I was Secretary of NHS and assistant editor of the high school yearbook and 3rd chair trombone in symphonic band. I took dual enrollment courses for college credit. I graduated 2nd in my high school class with a 3.97 GPA and 13 senior awards and a full ride to my dream university.

I know that stuff’s hardly unusual, but here’s what makes it unique: I did this while working full-time as a waitress at a local steak joint to support myself as a legally emancipated minor, during a year in which life as I knew it utterly fell apart. It was hands down the absolute worst year of my life, but damn it, I was not going to let this stupid family shit fuck up my future.

And for the record, I got the A- that wrecked my 4.0 before I ran away from home.

Seriously, it would be a very long list

http://www.nouilles.info/illustrations/sdmb_portraits/68402.jpg

But in my defense, while odd, they are not totally unique as I try to share the madness as possible.

I contributed post #27 to this thread.

Duns Scotus? Is that you?

I have sneaked into and explored a nineteenth century prison for the insane.

I’ve shaken the hand of a famous phocomeliac.

I parasailed at four-hundred feet on my sixtieth birthday and I’m afraid of heights.

MAJOR KUDOS facing your fear like that!

I’ve got a couple of MP3s that don’t exist anywhere else on the planet, I’m pretty sure.

::crickets::

Um…I also sat on an airfield while a Marine company made an airdrop around me. At night. When I was ten.

I played the cello in a performance in Carnegie Hall on the last day of its hundredth season. Sadly, not unique, as we were one of three or four orchestras in that concert, and there was another program that evening. Still.

I flew a moonwalking astronaut’s plane across Texas.

I’m sure that’s not unique, but probably is unique for someone in the UK, and pretty damned rare generally.

Good one.

1. All through Navy nuclear power school and submarine school, I used to listen to Senior Chief Petty Officers tell me that they had spent more time on the crapper at test depth than I’d been in the Navy. Guess where I headed the first time my submarine went to test depth? :smiley:

2. I was the first person off my submarine when we first broke through the Arctic ice. I took the commemorative photo of the event.

3. I’ve driven a snowmobile at high speed (>60 mph?) on the Arctic sea ice a few hundred miles north of Alaska.

4. I’ve gone swimming off a submarine in the Caribbean, sliding off the bow into the water.

5. I qualified and stood watch as the Diving Officer of the Watch on a submarine as a 20-year old midshipman.

6. As a college student, I convinced the *wife *of my university’s president to feed me a candy bar at Halloween while standing at her doorstep wearing nothing but shaving cream. :eek: (I actually bumped into her at an event last year, nearly two decades later. Yes, she remembered the encounter–probably because I was accompanied by a few hundred other students similarly attired.)

I have proved dozens of new mathematical theorems (one of which is named after me) and created a new concept that is named after me.

Psychohistory doesn’t count, Hari.

Definites:

I intentionally used an M-1 Abrams (and a convenient piece of terrain) as a sort of “human-cannon” to shut my jackass tank commander up.

At Ft. Hood, I was clocked doing 57 mph in a 35 mph zone. In an M-1 Abrams.

At Ft. Hood, I was the first gunner to ever knock down all 8 man-silhouette targets during a coax engagement on a gunnery range. Typical “Pass” for that engagement is to just get your rounds into the “target area” for suppressive fire.

Possibles:

I was pulled over, by U.S. M.P.s, in the middle-of-nowhere-by-Allah-deep-ass-desert, Saudi Arabia, for speeding. In an Abrams. Fucking 18th Airborne Corps.

I completely ran over one of these in Iraq. In an Abrams. (We figured it was most likely “war loot” from Kuwait).

I had two F-16 pilots screaming “YEEEHAWWWW!” as I gave them a crew’s view demonstration of the terrain negotiating capabilities of an M-1 Abrams going full-throttle.

TACOM and the Armor branch may have heaved a sigh of relief when I left the Army. Tonka’s got nothin’ on General Dynamics.

Okay, so I haven’t met/addressed internationally renowned luminaries. So what.

Led the first expeditions to survey birds in the cloud forest of two different remote mountain ranges in Panama. On the second one, which included seven team members plus 21 Indian guides and porters, we reached a peak where even the Indians said they had never been before. (That night they had a conclave to decide what to name the place.)

I also helped describe a new species of bird we found on surveys in Africa. I was the first to record and analyze its song.

You sir are my hero.

It was not my proudest moment.