Universal Expansion

Supposedly, the universe is expanding at a constant rate, which is the speed of light. If the universe expands, so must its contents at the same rate. Being that we’re within this universe, are we expanding at the speed of light?

The universe expanding at the speed of light is not a foregone conclusion. I’m not a physicist nor astrophysicist by any means, but there is something called the universal constant (I believe) that postulates that the expansion is actually proceding at a speed greater than light.

For a better answer, I’d suggest posting this in General Questions and let some of the brainier folk have at it.

But if you’re talking about personal expansion…well, I’ve put on about 2 pounds since Thanksgiving. :slight_smile:

The rate of expansion is not constant nor is it the speed of light. The early universe expanded much faster than what is observed today. Anyway it is space that expands, not the contents. The contents move away from each other.

Virtually yours,

DrMatrix

When you say “space is expanding” you mean that the universe (matter) is spreading out, right? I always have a problem when people say “space is expanding” because that implies that the universe is like a soap bubble and that there’s some physical boundary at its outer limit.

Yes, I meant that the contents are spreading out when I said space is expanding. I said this to distinguish between contents expanding and contents spreading out. I don’t see how space is expanding implies a boundry.

Virtually yours,

DrMatrix

The expanding soap bubble or balloon analogy, while I like it, it does have some limitations. First it is how to visualize a 2D universe in 3D space. Our universe would be the 3D surface of a 4D hypersphere. Second, the higher dimensional space has no real existance. Only the surface exists. You have to imagine that you are 2 dimensional and imbedded in the surface. The bubble expands and carries you with it.

Is this the source of the problem you have with the soap bubble?

Virtually yours,

DrMatrix