Untidy house poll

Mine ranges from not to slightly moderate in the public areas such as the kitchen living room entry and hall bath, to moderate in the bedrooms and master bath.

My computer room is pretty bad right not but I am going to do a major room change. I’ve been talking about it for months now it’s just a matter of getting started.

My laundry/utility/spare bedroom/back entrance areas are currently a nightmare.

Man, I feel like a total freak right about now. Put me as the only entry solidly in the “not” category. The closest thing to clutter in my entire apartment is a small pile of mail in the corner of my “dining room” table, and a few receipts that are on my dresser.

It helps that I’m a single guy with my own, fairly small, studio apartment. If I allowed any real clutter to build up, I wouldn’t be able to sit down.

I’m not exactly obsessive about cleanliness, but clutter just irritates the hell out of me.

Clarification, I’m the only one here where “not” is steady state description, as opposed to being a special case.

I try to do daily cleaning every morning before work – a load of laundry, dishes, straightening. So it looks presentable before I trash it in the evening. My bedroom and computer room are the worst, but I think I could have it in B+ shape with just ONE SOLID DAY OF CLEANING (which I don’t have the gumption to do at the moment). I do try to vacuum and dust once a week, but the bathroom is a bi-monthly thing (and it shows). I’m thinking of having someone come in once a month for $50 just to keep up with the dust. And I need bookshelves. And I need to file all my new CDs into the jukebox. And the cats shed. And the one cat leaves empty cigarette packs all over the house. It’s neverending.

Moderately untidy. Some parts not untidy.

In the living room, the “stuff” is mainly magazines, a few piles of CDs, post that hasn’t been filed, and a couple of the day’s tea/coffee mugs.
In the dining room, it’s items of the man’s clothing. He likes to take off his work trousers as soon as possible after getting home from work. They end up on the back of a chair. My painting stuff can sit out for weeks at a time here, also.
Computer room gets tidied daily by the man, who admonishes me for leaving traces of my presence (coffee cups, plates, post, catalogues)
Kitchen is kept rather neat and clean. Any dirty dishes sit next to the sink to await washing. Food and kitchenware has a place, and is put away.
Bedroom varies. The chest at the bottom of the bed is usually covered in clothes. My side of the room has a light scattering of tissues, books, underpants and make-up.
Bathroom is so small it has to be tidy. There’s no room for mess.

My SO tidies more frequently, but I tidy more methodically. He puts things where they can’t be seen (or found by him later), and I put things where they belong. Eventually.

Stop trying to make me feel guilty!

Quentin Crisp, the famous queen of ‘The Naked Civil Servant’ fame once, when asked about his aversion to domestic chores quipped:
“After 5 years, the dust doesn’t get any worse”.

I’ve adopted his minimalist approach to housekeeping.

Call the health inspectors!

Wait, that’s not a choice. O.K., Very.

I’m working very hard to extract my house from the OMG category. It’s boring. It’s really boring. Downstairs is a nightmare because we’re setting it up as an office and for some reason the more I do, the more chaos is generated.

Upstairs is marginally better since I’ve been home full time ::sigh:: I have a mind above housework, what’s happening to me? Am I turning into my grandmother?

www.flylady.net

Methinks some people may benefit from her wisdom.

At the moment it’s pretty clean. This is not normal. If you’d asked me two days ago I wouldn’t have committed to the fact that there was a floor somewhere underneath all the papers. :slight_smile:

Mine is probably Quite, but can dip into Moderate when I take the time to reshelve all my books and straighten the newspapers/magazines up.

I think I’m going to fall into Scott Evil’s “squalor” category. Sometimes I think I must be on Good Housekeeping’s “10 most wanted” list. Major clutter and dirt.

I think I normally fit into “squalor,” but lately we’ve had people over almost every weekend, so it’s stayed almost entirely between “quite” and “moderately.” What is this dusting of which you speak? Seriously, I don’t even wash dishes for several days and I’ll throw paper trash any place, even on the floor. My cats have had to learn how to navigate a maze most of their lives.

Not. I can’t stand it otherwise.

betwix very and quite.

between quite and moderately. Lately I seem to be just transfering the piles from place to place. My husband mistakenly believes that I have too many books. As if that were even a possibility.

On beyond zebra.

Everyone has always told me, when I warned them prior to entering, that the place is a freakin’ mess, that “Oh, I bet it’s no worse than mine.”

Yes, it is.

There used to be paths, among the stuff, from one place to another. That is no longer true.

I hold with the philosophy, that there is a place for everything, and as far as I can tell, everything is already in one.

Yes, I can find stuff. I remember where I put it, most of the time, although I am not infallible.

I do have a few things that get put in special places. Dirty laundry goes on the floor to the left of the bed, clean laundry on the right.

My glasses and the book du jour go on the floor at the head of the bed, just under the light. Antique stuff goes in the box on the left end of the large closet. My keys and change go in the basket next to the door. Every thing else is pretty much welcome to the spot it already has.

The thing is, it has made me pick up a few good habits. I pay my bills when I get them, cause I may never see them again. I read the manual cover to cover, when I buy a piece of equipment, because the damn thing will be entirely gone by tomorrow.

Tris

‘So messy I daren’t invite people over’.

I, too, have been accused of having too many books. I have no floor space next to my bed. My CDs double up as coasters.

The cat’s room is tidier than mine. At least he keeps his toys in a basket.

[hangs head in shame]