Upcoming "Jeopardy!" on-line test

I got 43/50 on Tuesday night and 40/50 on last night’s, so when I take it for real tonight the first category will be “Lithuanian Folk Song Lyrics”, then “Swahili Puns”, then “Fun With Trigonometry”, then for the first time ever 45 consecutive
“1970s NFL Trivia” questions, followed by three about Canadian soap opera characters.

For fuck’s sake, Sampiro, I just spent longer trying to copy and format those questions than I spent on the entire test!

Anywho, I got 36/50 plus I might get credit for one other. I don’t remember exactly what I put for #21 but it was either “14 Lights” or “14 Points” I definitely got the 14. Either way, I guess I technically passed if 70% is their cut off again, but I wasn’t thrilled.

Sampiro, thank you for posting last night’s quiz. I been itching to find out how I did, and I thought I might never find out since the Jeopardy message board has been down for a while now. At least now I have a number to go on. (39/50–worst score I’ve had in several years, tough I guess still a passing grade according to the scuttlebutt.) Anyway, you did yeoman’s work there. Thanks.

I don’t think there’s any official answer, publicly at least, on how they choose who to call.

Personally I think I’d first take the top quarter or so from each round. Then I’d cut 30 or so of the easiest questions (i.e. the 30 with the most correct responses given), run the results of the first cut through again, and take the top 25% (or 50% or whatever- depends on how many they’re looking for) and go from there. In other words I wouldn’t go JUST with the cumulative score but the weighted score.

But I have no freaking clue how Jeopardy does it. I’ve heard it’s by numbers answered correctly, I’ve heard it’s by percentage, but I think ultimately it’s the Oompah Loompahs who live on Merv Griffin’s old estate who make the call and they can’t be filmed.

Thanks, Sampiro… so, it looks like I got 41. Not bad, but still the worst (by far) I’ve ever done.

I’m trying to Login but nothing is happening. Does it normally take a while?

Oh there it goes, nevermind, had to close the page & re-open.

I had to update my Flash player - then it let me right in. Oh, and I decided to use Internet Explorer instead of my typical alternative browser. Just to prevent any issues.

Good luck West Coasters!

Good luck to all of us out west! 10 MINUTES!!!

I couldn’t take the test till tonight, so I’m an honorary West-Coaster!

For some reason it’s not having trouble with my old Flash; my Mac is Power-PC, and the new one won’t load. Oh well, if it works, it works.

Now let’s see if my old brain cells work too.

I… don’t think I did so good.

I certainly didn’t do good ENOUGH. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just took the west coast version, which was the easiest one I’ve ever taken by far.

Just finished. Probably scored in the 30’s, but wasn’t really keeping count. Geography & Science are my downfalls. We’ll see… :slight_smile:

I know I missed “Macedonia”, and I missed one altogether because I accidentally hit Submit twice on Ganymede/Jupiter (didn’t seem to work the first time, then blam).

I’m proudest of Maracaibo, which I got by wild ass guessing Venezuela.

All in all I think I did well but damned if I can remember most of the questions.

I can remember:

Water for Elephants (Sarah Gruen circus novel)
Catch 22 (impossible situation)
Afghanistan (birthplace of Khaled Hosseini)
T.S. Eliot (The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock)
Polio (aka Infantile Paralysis)
Iron ore (hematite)
Julius Caesar Salad (Before and After)

What are some of the others?

ETA: Gertrude Stein (something about Alice B. Toklas)
Euro (Maastricht)

Damn, that was hard. I blanked on a few that I know I knew, I just couldn’t get in 15 seconds, like the 12 letter word for a doctor who works on the brain. I ended up just writing “brain surgeon.” Hey, it has 12 letters!

Holy CRAP! That was tough! I think I got a few good guesses.

I could not think of “mushrooms” for the wood ear clue! :smack::smack::smack:

Mushrooms- Enoki and Wood Ear- I had no clue what it was. I think I put flute. (The category was this and that which didn’t help a bit.)

Valances was one I misspelled- I think I put Valenses- no idea how much they count off for that.

I think I missed 6 or 7, most of which I actually knew. I’ve been having problems with names lately, so of course I couldn’t think of Stephen Hawking and Robert Redford and T.S. Eliot.

At least I knew the Cleveland newspaper.

But overall, it wasn’t that hard.

“Regionals” and “The Sue Sylvester Shuffle” were episodes of this TV series. - Glee

Goddess of wisdom, Minerva was the Roman equivalent of this Greek god. - Athena

I got the mushrooms one! Wood Ear just sounds like it would be a mushroom. I don’t know how misspelled you can go and still be counted right. I put “Water and Elephants” for the book one, instead of “Water For Elephants.”