Upcoming movie "Persecuted" looks like religious right, propaganda crap

The synopsis:

Nationally acclaimed evangelist John Luther is the last obstacle in the way of sweeping religious reform in the States. When a U.S. Senator and Luther’s own supporters abduct and frame him in the murder of an innocent teenage girl, an unprecedented era of persecution is unleashed. Out on personal recognizance, Luther escapes police surveillance in search of the truth. And suddenly a once-normal life is targeted by a team of ex-military operatives who wage a relentless campaign to eliminate the incriminating evidence. As evangelist turned fugitive, Luther vows to expose anyone involved with, or profiting from, the girl’s murder.* It’s a mission that brings him face-to-face with the coming storm of persecution that will threaten the entire American Christian community.***

Ugh. Those poor, poor persecuted 85% of the country. Also, “John Luther”? Very subtle.

He got ROR on a murder charge? Must have a damned good lawyer.
DAMNED good…

Payback for The Handmaid’s Tale, or Revolt in 2100, I guess.

We’ve done it to them; they get to do it to us.

I’m surprised Kirk Cameron isn’t in this one.

Yea, I was going to say, it seems pretty nice of that authoritarian, anti-religoius cabal to let him out on his own recognizance. Maybe in the movie they’re just starting to persecute people, and are still kind of getting the hang of it.

Well, I guess the guy just getting “disappeared” one night like a Salvadoran dissident offers less opportunity for car chases.

There are actually 2 movies called Persecuted being released this year and I’ll be damned if it doesn’t seem like they might be from the same producers:
[

](Persecuted (Short 2014) - IMDb)
:rolleyes:

So I take it Idris Elba will be starring in this?

I was gonna say that.

Sounds terrible but then it’ll also probably see limited release, be viewed by some church groups and then fade off the scene entirely. Fred Thompson’s staying busy though beyond trying to sell people reverse mortgages.

Didn’t Bruce Davison also play the Senator who was persecuting mutants in the first X-men movie? That’s a strange bit of coincidental casting. Unless they’re claiming Magneto and Wolverine as Christians.

It’s funny - I read the first sentence: “John Luther is the last obstacle in the way of sweeping religious reform in the States” as meaning that he is preventing the turning of the US into a theocracy. “Sweeping religious reform” means everyone must be an evangelical Christian or else. Jews, Muslims, Catholics will be deported.

Ah, these poor, deluded, “persecuted” Christians. In a country that is 85% Christian, WHO actually is left to do the “coming storm of persecution”? And how did they ever get to be in charge?

Like **Jophiel **said, Fred Thompson is in it. Enough said.

Add in Nicholas Cage in the remake of Left Behind, and we’ve got us the makings of a damn fine movie year.

You’re kidding, right? The 85% certainly would be at no loss for an answer. (The President is the Anti-Christ!!!1!!! and whatnot. He has minions and rewards them richly for their persecution of the Righteous. Also: Jews.)
I need to go find some mindbleach for a refreshing draft, after this unpleasant descent into the Mind of the Fundamentalist…

Surprisingly it has a pretty decent cast of character actors.

I’ll sit through this ten times if you promise not to make me watch America: Imagine the World Without Her

Is that anything like A Day Without a Mexican?

It has the star from Titanic! Well, Titanic II, but that’s almost as good, right?

From the trailer, I gather the alternate-history divergence is George Washington killed in battle during the revolution. I don’t know offhand if this would have caused the revolution to fail, but I figure if it doesn’t, the biggest impact is that somebody other than Washington gets to be first president, he doesn’t step aside gracefully after two terms, and the nascent U.S. goes a similar route to post-revolution France - factional-fighting, reign of terror, a military coup… Unlike Napoleon, though, his American counterpart won’t be engaging in any disastrous European wars. Some version of “America” might do all right, possibly expansionist within North America, absorbing what is now Canada and Mexico, but probably collapsing under its own weight sooner or later.

Or, possibly, the revolution fails and a few decades later there’s a peaceful and negotiated transition to gradual independence. The familiar to us rah-rah patriotism and exceptionalism still exists, but is perhaps a tad more moderated.