US Midterm Election watch along thread

My apologies to Mods if this should be in a different forum.

So returns are starting to come in, not much that is definitive at this point but I thought this would be a good thread to start.

I am of course following Kornacki on MSNBC. Nothing outrageous so far since most results are what was expected.

I noticed Rand Paul was losing with .01% of precincts reporting. I think I’ll go to bed now with that happy thought.

Given 2020, I’m not sure it’d be mentally healthy for me to track a thread like this live, though I don’t begrudge those who do want to! I think I’ll check in tomorrow!

Good luck, America!

Can’t participate. Going on the bed and pulling the covers over my head to keep the monsters out.

Thanks for starting this thread. I’m on tenterhooks but feel Dems are going to do better tonight than generally projected due to turnout and other factors. (I’ve probably jinxed it by saying this, of course.)

I’m also especially focused on how Oregon is going to do tonight with respect to maintaining a Democratic governor. Could go either way on that, I’m afraid.

Thank you for this thread. Also watching Kornacki.

The main thing I see in these early results is I understand why GOP/MAGA hates early/mail-in voting. Clearly getting D voters to vote is has better results the easier voting becomes.

I am in Ohio, former belwether…

Fourteen minutes after the polls closed, the Columbus CBS affiliate reported that CBS national had “called” the Ohio governor’s race for Mike DeWine, who will likely win.

Not five whole minutes later, Andrew Kinsey (local anchor) had an interactive map and “precincts reporting” graphic up that showed DeWine losing.

I’d love to know when this shit started. Let’s count the votes and make this less about ratings.

Yes, I am sour that they preempted the Jeopardy! pre-game between Amy Schnieder and that empty-headed tit Matt Amodio…

CBS is ADAMANT that their “data” is showing the Republicans winning the whole damned shooting match. Meanwhile, Tim Ryan up 56.8%, right now.

I thought Hershel Walker may lose in Georgia and was told I’m an idiot. Not looking good for him.

Hassan is looking to be in good shape in NH.

I’m hoping that voters are not as stupid as we give them credit for. It’s possible that a lot of women voters could not stomach the Sports Hero Man.

Warnock is performing really well at this point, taking multiple other factors into account.

One more thing to say just so I don’t forget that they said it… CBS claimed that early and absentee ballots are counted FIRST, and so the early returns will trend Blue, but will eventually shift Red.

Flash back to two years ago, when they said THE EXACT OPPOSITE THING. In FACT, it was the basis for the whole “stop the count/stop the steal” shit, in the first place?

When did CBS lose its collective mind?

The first thing I looked at was the return maps. We see a Dem way ahead and it’s because all of the large cities have 80% or more reporting. In this case Warnock has a lead with hardly any other city reporting.

538 thinks that Georgia is going to be very close.

Does it depend on the state? I seem to recall different states had different rules for which ballots to count when. (and these rules may have changed)

My building had triple digits for Fetterman and Shapiro, double digits for oz and mastriano. Interestingly there were 8 ish people that did not vote for sen. or gov…

My building has 400+ units and over 300 people voted on 2 machines. Because you just have to go to the lobby and vote, most voting is in person.

Yeah, but Warnock is doing even better in those large cities than he did in 2020, so that is a significant data point, even though the raw totals are very misleading.

Arizona started off blue and the red team started nipping at their tails in 2020, closing the gap considerably but never catching them. So yeah it depends on the state and their rules. Some states dont count absentee ballots until after everything else.