US Midterm Election watch along thread

Where is that statistic from (genuinely asking)? While I understand gerrymandering can result in a minority of voters being overrepresented, how are Republicans winning all statewide offices and Presidential elections if the statewide vote favors Democrats?

The thing about the Democrats going further right is that it would harm the uneasy alliance with progressives and further left. They (well, we) are just barely getting back on board.

He didn’t do that at all, much less singlehanded. There’s 50 Republican senators who contribute just as much. Which is my point. If there were only, say, 25 Republicans, it wouldn’t matter if the other 25 Democratic senators were Joe Manchin clones. Things would get done by the normal give and take of political compromise.

Modhat on:

OK, looks like a good discussion for another thread and a probable severe hijack of this very informative one. Drop the Joe Manchin, Big Tent side discussion.

I’ll try to note all the related posts.

This topic was automatically opened after 11 minutes.

So… No one has been watching the aren’t general races. :cry: I was hoping y’all would do my research for me.

Has anyone analyzed the remaining Nevada votes and determined a rough guess(odds?) on what the final result might be?

When are we expecting the next tranches?

Nbmnd

It’s been analyzed pretty heavily. All analyses point to a Dem victory, but nobody is committing. From 538 last night:

Earlier this evening, a new batch of votes from Clark County (Las Vegas) narrowed Laxalt’s lead to just one-tenth of a percentage point. Since then, we’ve gotten more results from light-blue Washoe County (Reno) and solidly red Douglas County. Washoe reported about 11,000 votes, which broke about 55 percent to 44 percent for Cortez Masto, and Douglas County reported about 5,000 votes, which broke 61 percent for Laxalt and 38 percent for Cortez Masto. As a result, we’re back to where we started earlier today, with Laxalt leading 48.5 percent to 48.4 percent. But there aren’t many Douglas County-style vote updates left to help Laxalt, as an estimated 85 percent of the remaining vote will come from Clark and Washoe. Barring a surprise, they will favor Cortez Masto by some margin and likely put her in the lead.

Clark county nv usually does a presser around 2pm ish eastern, and results start to dump around 8pm ish eastern.

California will vote dump around 4-5 pm pacific, that may clear up things in a few races.

The states left in the congressional races are ones that have high amounts of mail in, or ranked voting. Those take a long time to come in.

Most of the races are in the west; mountain, pacific, and Alaska time for those. Maine is the east coast ranked voting state and there is one race there.

Mark Kelly speaking now and it is so good to see gabby with him.

Electoral-Vote did a rough job using previous numbers and ratios and has CCM winning by 780+ votes if everything stayed the same. They also note that she’ll likely get more than that just because of how various ballots lean (mail in vs drop-off, etc) and what’s left

Masters, so far, is declining to concede saying that he will wait until all the votes are counted.

I don’t mind him waiting for that, so long as an actual concession is in the offing. That’s true progress in AZ. Sad though that low bar may be.

To his credit, he hasn’t thrown around spurious allegations of voter fraud (unlike Lake). One thing that has to piss Trump off is that so many of “his” candidates are accepting their defeats rather than going full election denier.

NV Clark Co. will report out tonight except some cures and provisionals.

~20k tonight if I heard correctly.

Checking late-received ballots. Expected Wednesday PM.

Off Topic and ignore a moderator instruction.

Enforcing, or trying to enforce, a doctrinal purity test on abortion is NOT being a big tent party. Henry Cuellar (TX-28) is “the last House Democrat to oppose abortion rights,” and he was primaried from the left. Thankfully, that particular attempt failed.

Rep. Henry Cuellar clinches Dem primary win over progressive challenger - POLITICO