US Midterm Election watch along thread

Technically, Washington’s 3rd Congressional district is still heading for a recount at the request of the losing (R) candidate. The difference was 2,629 votes, or 0.83%, which was above the automatic recount threshold. It obviously won’t change anything and the election was already certified, so we can consider it over.

Amusingly, the losing candidate in the WA 9th district also requested a recount of 717 votes cast in two precincts. He lost the election by 104,115 votes, or 43%. You’ll never guess his party.

After searching on her name, I guess this is the best place to put this:

I love Marc Elias. He’s a treasure.

Just noticed the sanctions line. Love it!

He also follows up with this, re: the remaining two claims

Did you read the summary of the December 19th oral arguments detailed under your link at democracydocket.com? Jeebus. Just… nuts.

A mere taste:

Next, the judge heard from Lake’s attorney (who might be remembered by his stint representing the controversial Cyber Ninjas during Arizona’s 2020 election “audit”), who argued that Maricopa County failed to follow its election procedures and chain of custody rules for ballots. He claimed that “mysteriously, 25,000 extra ballots appeared” in Maricopa County after the election and these ballots are “outcome determinative.” He then made the argument that Maricopa County officials are engaged in a “secret censorship operation set up by the government that would make Orwell blush.” In support of this allegation of a conspiracy, Lake’s attorney suggested that “you have the federal government creating an election misinformation reporting portal, specifically for state and local election officials, which ties them directly with social media companies like Twitter and Facebook and allows these election officials to immediately flag and take down information to censor people that they find objectionable. They call it misinformation, but this is a secret operation” that is allegedly an “affront to the First Amendment.” Lake’s attorney then referred to a pollster for the Epoch Times who said the total number of disenfranchised voters in Maricopa County would be “outcome determinative.”

Am I crazy to think this isn’t going to work out the way Lake and the other buffoons expect it will?

LOL, you’re going to be fine. :slight_smile: (I suspect you already know this.)

Something I find entertaining is that the comments section of the local rags are all mocking her and the AG pretender. Most of the usual trumpies have gone into radio silence which happened shortly after the playing cards announcements.

I doubt they are embarrassed, I think they are running off to a more receptive echo chamber, but it is possible that one or two of them have figured things out.

I will confess to doing a little trolling in the comments section. More than 28 thousand people in Arizona have died from COVID since the plague started. Just taking a WAG, I’d say that at least 14 thousand of those people were anti-vax. If tump had taken the plague serious, I’d bet that all of those dead anti-vaxxers would be alive to vote for the trump tickets.

II thrive on the hate!

Why aren’t we taking more about the incredibly profuse pathological liar (and criminal) George Santos, about to be sworn in as a Republican congressman from New York, with the GOP’s blessing? I found only a couple mentions, in P & E (I’d expect much more in the Pit).Fascinating story that resonates with so many themes Dopers love to discuss.

Am I missing something?

I’ve posted this in four threads (no more, I promise), because I’m genuinely puzzled.

Outrage fatigue? So many pathological liars, and limited energy to focus on this one?

Sorry, that’s all I got. :woman_shrugging:t4:

Good point…and so sad.
I’ll start one now.

Here’s something that just popped up in the Stupid Republican thread:

Thanks.

If you want to have a productive discussion about Santos (which I’m up for – I posted about his lies in the NY House elections thread), posting across four threads is the worst way to do it. You’re just going to end up with disjointed conversations. Stick to one thread or start one of your own.

Thanks — sorry. I just wanted to make sure I wasn’t missing one. I’ve continued this conversation in an existing thread (the one ThelmaLou linked to), and of it finds a home there, great; if not, I’ll start a new thread.

“PHOENIX (AP) — A recount of votes has confirmed Democrat Kris Mayes narrowly defeated Republican Abraham Hamadeh in the Arizona attorney general’s race, one of the closest elections in state history.
The highly anticipated results announced Thursday in Maricopa County Superior Court are among the last in the country to come out of November’s election and solidified another victory for Democrats who shunned election fraud conspiracies in what used to be a solidly Republican state.
With Hamadeh’s defeat, Republicans running statewide in battleground states who spread former President Donald Trump’s false claim that the 2020 election was stolen have all lost their races.”

From the article, the lead went from 511 down to 280. That’s actually a lot of votes in a modern recount. It would be informative to see how the totals changed.

Exactly my thought. And that this will likely just make the Lake crowd ramp up their squawking.

I see a result like that, and I wonder how many midterm races were decided for Dems by the preponderance of covid deaths among right-leaning, more-likely-to-participate (since older) voters.