US Navy Officers Investigated in Kickback Scheme

Several US Navy officers are accused of steering US Navy ships to certain foreign ports for replenishment/repairs. These deals resulted in the navy paying up to 5 times normal docking charges.
What will happen to these officers if the charges are proven?

Ship captains would be relieved of command, effectively terminating their careers. They could face criminal charges, but would most likely just be asked for resignations.

Is this hypothetical? Or is it about the 2006 case where a civilian contractor received $18 million in kickbacks for monkeyshines in the U.S.? (He pleaded guilty in May.) Or is it something new?

(since this isn’t GQ, we can jump right in with the snark, right?)

Any brig-time will be meted out only after a thorough investigation places the highest amount of responsibility on the lowest-ranking participant.

Flag-rank will be effectively terminated for not waiting until after retirement to cash in, as defense contractors. The initial years in uniform are supposed to be used to lay the groundwork for that. To safeguard our future they must go: if too dumb to play that game, they’re too dumb to perform their secondary role: defending the USA. It’s only fair to our children, and to the other careerists who didn’t get caught.

The real villain of this piece, of course, is whoever let this be known outside the circle of admirals/contractors and oversight committee-members. What other secrets are they liable to give to our enemies?

Slithy you hit the nail on the head with that post. The military has their own version of the “good ol’ boys” game.

Different issue I think.

I read about it in this Time magazine article recently. Logistics officers were getting hookers and cash to steer ships toward ports where Francis overcharged them for supplies and services.

In that case, they’ll likely face a court martial, lose all pay and benefits, spend some time in prison and lose their retirements. Hope it was worth it.

I hope you’re right Chefguy, but I don’t have much faith in the system. Most likely they’ll get their peepee whacked and sent off to civilian land where they’ll join the corporate world and continue hustling till they retire and pass the torch to a new generation. I know that sounds pessimistic but it’s been going on for eons and I don’t see it stopping ever. And, being a Navy vet yourself, I’m sure you’ve seen it firsthand. Every damn yardbird in Newport or Norfolk was a former Chief Petty Officer with connections.

Guess I was one of the few that never had connections. I retired as a Chief and my first job was carrying a toolbox as an electrician for $18/hour. :stuck_out_tongue: These guys sound like lower-ranked officers, probably LCDR and below, who won’t have the clout of a Captain or higher. They may just have their careers curtailed for them, which is no small punishment, but I’m sure a few will be made example of.

Sadly, I can pinpoint why we see this stuff in the news more than we did decades ago. Back in the 80’s, remember all the joy over the so-called ‘defense benefit’ after the Wall fell? DoD started cutting back on everything. But you NEED everything. So some bright booby decided "We’ll hire contractors, and BRAC military support capability! It’ll be cheaper! " So contractors came in droves to do stuff that used to be only done by military and defense civil service.
But you know what those bright boobies also did? Sometime in the late 80’s they cut back on auditing staff in military and civil service. I mean, dumber than a bag of rocks. If you’re going to hire more contractors, and give more people the authority to hire contractors with little oversight, Yeah, you’re going to see more corruption and you’ll need a bigger auditing staff than a smaller one.
Sadly, DoD didn’t plan well.

Don’t get me started on outsourcing. It wasn’t just the military, but also agencies like GSA who had to start using contractors, often with poor results.

Yes. I lost my job.

(But I remember it as the ‘peace dividend’.)

These kinds of stories tick me off. Yes, there is corruption in the military. There is also corruption in government, private industry, non-profits, churches, and life in general. Some people are honest, some are not. Some take bribes, some don’t. Some beat the system, some do their best to work within the system. I don’t think the military is any dirtier than any other organization. But stories like these are held up and quoted as if they represent the norm.

Beware the broad brush…

So what would you have the news consist of, if any one group is excused if someone else does it also? Stories like these are held up and quoted because they aren’t the norm-they are an aberration that needs to be dealt with, and without stories like these being exposed they won’t be.

The difference is that it is your and my tax dollars that take the hit when something like this happens. That’s what makes it news.

It’s also why we need a strong auditing profession. It’s not just a military problem, it’s a civilian one. Remember 2008.

According to the newspaper report they arrested 1 Commander, 1 Captain, and the NCIS officer who was investigating them (he tipped them off). They also arrested the civilian CEO contractor. So it looks like they do have some pretty high ranking officers. I hope they do throw the book at them. Bastards sold out their country for Lady Gaga tickets! (and money, and plane tickets, and fancy hotel rooms. But Lady fucking Gaga tickets! Hang them for treason! )