US now supports legal pot at 66% - gallup poll

9 years ago it was 44% In 94 it was 25%

Don’t see the feds changing laws now but maybe in 10 years they could

I think it’s very likely that the next Democratic nominee for President will be pro-legalization. Obama already took very, very tentative steps in that direction. I think nothing could potentially enertize youth turnout like this issue. I personally know a 20-ish guy who thinks there’s no point to voting, but when I asked “what if they supported legalizing pot?” he said that yeah, he’d definitely vote in that case.

also it’s >50% in all parties, all regions of the US and all age groups.

All of the occupants of my house support legal pot, so it’s 100% at the Bomicile.

I suspect depending on how the midterms go the GOP will try and grab the legalization baton away from the Dems. They can see where the math is heading and pro-pot initiatives at the state level are huge at helping bring young voters to the polls. They’ll see the strategic benefit of trying to be the party that legalized and as a bonus they’ll neuter the turn-out situation.

It will simultaneously energize the youth vote and suppress it. What???

I’m not sure what you mean by this (unless it’s a whoosh about lazy stoned kids).

The elephant in the room is not the question of legalization, but the fact that federally, cannabis remains classified as a Schedule I narcotic, which puts it in the same category as heroin and ecstasy. Even cocaine is Schedule II. This absurdity is mainly due to the efforts of Harry Anslinger in the 1930s, who saw the end of Prohibition as a possible end to his career in the Treasury Department’s Bureau of Prohibition and took up an infamous crusade against marijuana instead, a crusade heavily tinged with racism and completely fabricated scare tactics implying that it causes crime, violence, insanity, and death.

Anslinger was the motive force behind the unintentionally humorous propaganda film Reefer Madness, but there was nothing funny about the prison-industrial complex his policies engendered, nor his extreme and abhorrent racist attitudes (“Reefer makes darkies think they’re as good as white men” – Harry Anslinger; cite). This is the legacy of criminalization that lives on today, fully embraced by the current Attorney General. One can be for or against nationwide legalization and still see the necessity of reforming this absurdity.

This seems far-fetched. The GOP base of old scared white people seems likely to be the ones most opposed to legalization. How do they run on that issue without alienating their base?

Can you think of anything analogous? Is there any socially liberal issue in the past 60 years that the GOP, seeing a groundswell of popular support for, has successfully managed to run on? I can’t (but I’m willing to be convinced otherwise).

Actually, that’s something I’ve been wondering about. Just what would it take to change the scheduling of marijuana? Are we talking an act of Congress, a change of regulations by the FDA, what?

And there’s no way that the Republicans come out ahead of the Democrats on legalization, aside from a handful of cranks like Ron Paul. While a majority of Republicans might now support legalization, the majority of the opponents of legalization are still Republicans, and a lot of them would see such a move as a proxy for other “social issues” that they care very much about.

Earlier this year, Trump indicated support for a bill to end the federal prohibition and allow the states to make their own laws. I’m not sure if that bill has advanced at all, though.

In other news, Philip K. Dick now appointed Historian of the U.S. Department of State. That guy has been on the money in prognostication for the last couple of years despite having been dead for over three and half decades. At this point I wouldn’t be surprise to start seeing advertisements for “Ubik” in my dreams.

I believe the designation and scheduling of controlled substances falls under the purview of the Attorney General per 21 U.S. Code § 811 - Authority and criteria for classification of substances, save for classifications that may be required by treaty stipulations. 21 U.S. Code § 812 - Schedules of controlled substances defines the context for each of the schedules (I through V). So, for the federal government to decriminalize marijuana would require persuading Jeff Sessions to remove it from Schedule I, which is probably like convincing him not to grin at the thought of a lynching party. However, the current state of affairs does produce the interesting effect of transparent hypocrisy in people who support “state’s rights” but oppose marijuana legalization by individual states. So…there’s that.

Stranger

Which I strongly suspect is the only reason that Jeff Sessions’ threats to “crack down” on the states legalizing marijuana and throwing everyone involved in jail has been failing to get traction. Plus, in the eyes of the racist little prick, it would have the bonus effect of throwing a lot of the aforementioned “darkies” in jail. He is, after all, a sort of protégé of Harry Anslinger.

I haven’t seen the details of the bill but it’s not clear that it would do very much except formally guarantee the effective status quo in terms of states’ rights to legalize. I think it’s important as a matter of principle and sane federal policy to decriminalize it as well, not necessarily legalize. It’s unconscionable to have marijuana on Schedule I.

There is that upside for all the poh-theeds out there, in that Sessions has been unpopular with the POTus for awhile now. If he were following the marching orders to quash the Russia investigation, he might have the ear of his orangeness and thus might get the political capital for more anti-weed measures.

I’ve liked a few of his books, what are the things he got right? In which stories mainly?

U.S. culture legalized Marijuana a long time ago. It’s only a question of long it takes for the laws to catch up.