US Troops Mutiny During WW2?

Story here.

The beginning of the story is:

“An Australian historian has uncovered hidden documents which reveal that African American troops used machine guns to attack their white officers in a siege on a US base in north Queensland in 1942.”

It sounds as though it could have happened- fights among large numbers of troops are not unknown, but this is the first time I have heard of this.

No idea if it will turn out to be true. At least it is more interesting than the usual stories of US Servicemen bedding the local women.

There were in fact a number of mutinies at military bases in the US during WWII directly related to the treatment of black enlisted men and officers, though I hadn’t heard of any of them resulting in gunfire.

The Port Chicago Mutiny - A large group of black enlisted men refused to continue working under dangerous conditions after more than 300 people were killed in a munitions explosion.

Freeman Field Mutiny - Which happened as a result of escalating tensions when black Army Air Forces officers, including combat veterans returning from the European Theater, were not being allowed to serve in leadership positions or make use of the Officer’s Club.

Thanks Raguleader. I am more familiar with mutinies in the Great war- of which there were quite a number.

You may be interested in the Brownsville Affair

The history of black soldiers in America is fascinating and sad at the same time. At the turn of the century (1900) some of the most experienced regiments in the US were black and were used heavily in Cuba and the Philippines, out performing the less experienced white troops, which only makes sense. But you have to dig to get history about them. Cuba is all about Teddy and the Rough riders and the Philippines seem to have been erased from American history.

That is recounted in one of the Fenwick Travers novels, I do not remember which.
Travers was an attempt at an American Flashman.

Military gun enthusiasts and collectors still study the US occupation of the Philippines. The .30-40 Krag saw the majority of its combat use by the US there. There were variants of the rifle manufactured especially for use there by the Filipino personnel (the Constabulary carbine) that are desirable to collectors.
The Colt M1889 revolver in .38 Long Colt was also used there and its dismal performance was one of the things that eventually led to the adoption of the “sacred” 1911 automatic pistol.
These collectors and enthusiasts may be the last people in the world who still know all the lyrics to “Damn, Damn, Damn the Filipinos.”

I pretty good attempt I think. Of course, nobody can top Flashman. Good reads though and they cover some obscure topics.

I doubt this sort of thing could have been covered up for this long. Over a thousand people would have had to have known about it, and they all kept quiet? Unlikely.

Well to be fair regimental histories usually get obscured in favour of the big picture, whatever the skin colour of the men at arms.

The Negro Regiments were considered elite Regiments until before WW2, a conflict in which they did not exactly cover themselves in glory (unlike WWI, where the Germans learnt to fear them).