Use of the word "myriad"

I’ve noticed that I see the word “myriad” used in this format: “There were myriad reasons for…”, as well as in this format: “There were a myriad of reasons for…”

The former always looked awkward to me, but IMO, it’s used more frequently than the latter. Are both correct and accepted?

The former is correct. Someone will be along momentarily to tell me I’m wrong, but I’m not. :stuck_out_tongue:

The first is correct because ‘myriad’ isn’t countable: ‘Six myriads’ doesn’t make any sense. ‘Myriad’ is a synonym for ‘many’ but is more emphatic.

Well, OK.

Having posted that, a myriad of sounds awkward to me, for myriad reasons. :wink:

They’re both correct, and the latter is the older version.

The original meaning is ‘Ten thousand’ in Greek. so saying “There were ten thousand of reasons for” is slightly less normal than saying “There were ten thousand reasons for”.

Except as Johnny L.A. pointed out, it was first used in English as a noun. So both usages are very old and equally correct but using it as a noun is more correct and older. If you actually use it to mean 10,000 outside of a discussion of Greek history nobody will understand you and you are communicating poorly.