Why no 'a' before 'myriad'?

maybe ‘myriad’ is the same type of word as ‘loads’ or ‘lots’ or ‘millions’ but I can’t help thinking it needs an ‘a’ before it like ‘a lot’.

“There are myriad of errors”

“There is a myriad of errors”

The later sounds right.

Right, but you say, “There are myriad errors”, and not so much, “There are myriad of errors.”

myriad

my bolding.

It does sound poetic. Thanks :slight_smile:

Yes, both uses – as noun or adjective – are acceptable. As noted before it should be “There are myriad errors” in the first choice, though.

I highly prefer the adjectival use, since it nearly literally translates to “ten thousand” IIRC. “There are ten thousand errors” vs. “There is a ten thousand of errors”.

American Heritage dictionary has this to say about myriad:

myr·i·ad adj. 1. Constituting a very large, indefinite number; innumerable: the myriad fish in the ocean. 2. Composed of numerous diverse elements or facets: the myriad life of the metropolis. --myr·i·ad n. 1. A vast number: the myriads of bees in the hive. 2. Archaic. Ten thousand. [Greek murias, muriad-, ten thousand, from murios, countless.]
————————————————————
USAGE NOTE: Throughout most of its history in English myriad was used as a noun, as in a myriad of men. In the 19th century it began to be used as an adjective, as in myriad men; this usage became so well entrenched that many people came to consider it as the only correct possibility. In fact, both uses have not only ample precedent in English but also etymological justification from Greek, inasmuch as the Greek word murias from which myriad derives could be used as either a noun or an adjective. Both uses may be considered equally acceptable, as in Samuel Taylor Coleridge’s “Myriad myriads of lives.”

Google fight! – ‘a myriad’ v. ‘myriad’

First, the total of both… 'myriad ’ = 3,470,000 hits.

‘a myriad’ = 823,000 hits

therefore, ‘myriad’ without the preceding ‘a’ = 2,647,000 hits.
FYI…

myriads = 214,000 hits.

Myriads of Peace.

Would you say “a many”?

Yes, I’d say ‘a myriad.’ (823,000 hits)

I’d say ‘a horde.’ (206,000 hits)

I’d say ‘a gazillion’ (120,000 hits)

Or, ‘a many’ (835,000 hits)

Even, ‘a very many’… (3,370)

You know love is a many splendored thing. A myriad of folk would agree.

A Peace to You.

There are myriad errors

There are a myriad of errors.

See http://www.thefreedictionary.com/myriad

You know of course that “a” is thing’s article.

Is “There are myriad of errors” the sort of thing somebody raised in the UK would say?

I know, I know. Quite a many of my posts are tangents.

Peace.

Amyriad, presumably meaning “not very many at all”, garners 534 google hits.

Epimyriad, hypomyriad, perimyriad, and apomyriad are not in the google database, however myriadic appears 353 times.