Use Spellcheck and PROOFREAD, D@mn It!

Bippy, you rule!

Zenster-- your argument that poor spelling interferes with the transmission of ideas is vacuous, sanctimonious, and pathetic.

Nog

So, people who make spelling mistakes in their posts are morons?

Here’s one for you Zenster: If Stephen Hawking was a doper, and he wrote a brilliant 2-page answer in GQ on the subject of the universe expanding, but there was one spelling mistake - this would make him a moron?

Here’s another one: If you ever post something which contains a spelling mistake, would I be justified in pitting you, calling you a moron, and linking to this thread as a cite?

The simple fact that “prodestant” is becoming an acceptable alternate spelling for “protestant” proves a sufficient number of people spelling the same word wrong increases ignorance of correct spelling.

Cite?

DanielWithrow, You misplaced a ‘**’.

(after “moron”. It should be before)

Zenster Maybe something should be done about the reduction in inteligent posts. Problem is, they tend to disappear of the first page completely unanswered.

People want Wit these days.

(unfortunate, but true)

Oh, and ignorance is a privative, It cannot be spread. It is not a thing.

So there.
(The ‘Science of Discword’ is my bible)

Gaudre’s [fucking] law! ‘of’ should be ‘off’.

I am going to end up in a fight today. I’ve got my annoying pedantic sod head on. (the others are in the wash)

All I’m saying is, somebody had to start using “your” (possessive) instead of “you’re” (contraction for “you are”). Now you see it everywhere!

And while I’m at it, “who” started putting quotation marks around “seemingly random” words and phrases, on signs and the like? I don’t know about you guys, but I’m not going to buy any “fresh” fish.

Still and all, it’s a message board, so stop freaking out. You’re typing fast, you’ve got something to say, you make a mistake, so what? Let it go.

My mistake **DanielWithrow, ‘moron’ was already bolded.

This subject seems to raise the hackles of more dopers than I’d have thought!

I can’t say that persistent, repetitious spelling errors drive me nuts, exactly; I consider that part and parcel in evaluating the views being expressed, particularly in the Great Debates forum.

What does make me crazy, even unreasonably berserk?

The spastic thread titles, usually consisting of a handful of words, with spelling and punctuation errors. C’mon! I can understand making mistakes when typing a long, detailed post, but I hate thread titles that seem to shout disrespect for the intended audience.

While I am no happier with the OP than anyone else seems to be there is another option available for those who use Internet Explorer other than using Word or note pad. I give you ieSpell

When I remember to use it it does work well here and is accessible by a right click or toolbar icon.

Hey zenster, you fucking moronic hypocrite:

In this thread:

You said:

To which I replied:

Which you replied with:

From Sublight

I dropped one FUCKING LETTER WHILE YOU REPLACED ONE WHOLE FUCKING WORD!
I dropped one letter, you little sniveling whiny bitch. Go fuck yourself.

I would also like to state, while most people can understand what I’m saying if I say quit rather than quite, while using mod when it’s supposed to be admin can muddle up the meaning.

Nitpick:

“I dropped one letter, you little sniveling whiny bitch.”

Zenster is male, I believe. Unless of course you mean “little bitch” as used in the excellent Basekettball. :smiley:

Zenster:

Screw you, good buddy! I don’t proofread nothing, nohow! I know the rules and according to E.B. White’s The Elements of Style, that entitles me to break 'em.

As for the spellchecker… Screw that noise. Microsoft word and Vbulletin don’t like each other and my quotation marks get fucked up. Furthermor, it’s not worth the effort for me to figure out.

Here’s how it works:

From the MIND OF GOD, Transmitted to my brain, typed by my flying fumbling nerve dead fingers.

Then I hit the “submit button.”

That’s the way it’s gonna stay, and you can’t do shit one about it.
Now purpose you are a mindless drone with the heart of an account who likes to go back over his dry yet saggy prose in anal retentiv e fashion, but I’m an important man with things to do, places to go, and great thoughts to speak and type.

Each time that I stop and proofread a post, is time that could be spent beneffiting the world with magnificent light that is myself. Each moment I spend proofreading denies the world of more of me.

It’s not an effective use of my time. I’m an idea man, I’m a doer not a scorekeeper. I’m a mover, I’m a shaker.

Why don’t you proofread me, and create an “Annotated Scylla?”

Now the button.

Well, since I didnt’ know that before I made that post, it’s easy to make that type of mistake. :slight_smile:

Which brings us to Daniel’s fourth rule of correcting other folks’ grammar (and coding, spelling, etc.): if you’re gonna correct a mistake, make sure it’s a mistake. Nothing’s worse than the erroneous “correction” of a correctly formed sentence.

Except maybe eggplant. Yeah, eggplant’s worse.

Daniel

Is burundi channelling DanialWithrow? :slight_smile:

That’s what I thought samarm

Crap on a stick. I knew that Gudere* was bound to catch up with me eventually in this thread. Drinking blueberry beer before posting doesn’t help.

Burundi is my lovely and talented fiancée, with whom I share a computer, and far too often I forget to log her off before posting. Indeed, I just noticed in another thread that she was logged on, and hastened back here to correct myself. Alas, y’all got here first.

Mea culpa, and see Daniel’s third rule of correcting other folks’ grammar.

Daniel