Uses for pomegranate juice?

So I bought a bottle of pomegranate juice last week to make a really killer kebab marinade (2 cups juice, 3 cloves crushed garlic, crushed peppercorns, salt, and 1/3 cup chopped fresh mint; marinate cubed lamb, grill, reduce marinade by 2/3 and baste kebabs on grill - delicious!).

But now I have about 3-4 cups of leftover pomegranate juice. It’s a tad bitter and intense by itself to drink straight, so short of making another batch of lamb kebabs (I’m only one person, and there’s only so much lamb a girl can eat herself), what else can I do with it? Recipes, please!

I don’t have any specific recipes, but I do know that my mother has used it on duck.

Make some rice with it and pour the juices from the duck over it. It’s quite tasty, at least when she makes it.

Maybe not a recipe per se, but I really love Pom Wonderful with vodka and maybe a little lime. I’ve tried other bottled pomegranate juice and Pom really is the best.
I could go for one right now!

First, thanks for the recipe, I’ve got a bunch of lamb and that sounds like a good marinade. Second, you can mix it into lemonade to give it a little flavor twist. Last summer I froze it in cubes and then put in the blender with margarita mix and made some awfully nice adult type drinks. But then, I’m strange and drink it straight mostly.

Wimp! We love it – we always have a bottle in the fridge, and we bought shot glasses special just for our pom juice with breakfast. Yum, antioxidants!

I like to mix straight cranberry juice with ginger ale. Bet it would work with pom juice too. Or try it in your OJ.

I was also going to suggest cocktails. (Pomegranite juice is the basis for grenadine syrup, and anything you’d make with grenadine you can make with pomegranite juice and a bit of sugar or corn syrup.)

Otherwise, I suspect it would make a good marinade for anything gamey, such as boar.

Incidentally, I find pomegranite juice tastes remarkably similar to black currant juice, which is much much cheaper (at least in Eastern European groceries.) Seriously, the first time I had pomegranite, I could have sworn it was black currant.

from An Anonymous Andalusian Cookbook of the Thirteeth Century,
translated by Charles Perry.

Another Tabahajiyya (A37)
Cut the meat up small and fry with oil and salt, and when it is brown,
cooki it until done with vinegar. Pound a handful of almonds or walnuts
and thrown them on and boil a while. Take pomegranate juice and dissolve
in it a lump of sugar to get ride of its tartness, and sprinkle with
cinnamon.

My Pomegranite chicken:
3 chicken breasts, hacked to pieces
1-2 T olive oil
1/2 tsp salt

Salt the chicken chunks, and sautee in a hot skillet with the oil until
almost done and just starting to brown. Meanwhile, make the sauce:
1/4 cup water
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 T sugar
1/4 cup pomegranite syrup (from middle eastern grocers. If you can’t find
the syrup, you can use the juice, but boil it for a lot longer, and omit
the water).
Boil these together in a small sauce pan to blend and dissolve the sugar.

When the chicken is almost done, throw on 1/4 cup cider vinegar , the boiled sauce, and 3 T of pounded almonds.
Continue to simmer until the chicken has absorbed most of the liquid.
Serve on a bed of cous cous. (recipe below).

Soldier’s Couscous (Kuskusu Fityani) (A55) [same source]
The usual moistened cous cous is known by the whole world. The Fityani is
the one where the meat is cooked with its vegetables, as is usual, and
when it is done, take out the meat and the vegetables from the pot and
put them to one side; strain the bones and rest from the broth and return
the pot to the fire; when it has boiled, put in the cous cous cooked and
rubbed with fat and leave it for a little on a reduced fire or the
hearthstone until it takes in the poper amount of the sauce; then throw
it on a platter and level it, put on top of it the cooked meat and
vegetables, prinkle it with cinnamon and serve it. This is called Fityani
in Marrakesh.

my version of Soldiers Cous Cous
2 cups quick cooking cous cous
1 can Swansons veggie broth and 1 can water
4 T butter
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp salt

Bring the broth and water to a boil in a good heavy pot with a tight lid.
Stir in the couscous and finish according to the directions on the box.
You can also leave the covered pot on the stove, with the burner tunred
off. In about 15 minutes, the water should be absorbed. Stir in the
butter over low heat until it is melted. Fluff with a fork and sprinkle
heavily with cinnamon.

Find a sturdy Australian man with whom to couple. He will need refreshment after his mighty labors, and you can use the remainder of the juice to make him many kebabs. He will eat your lamb and ask for more.

You can use it if you are Lil’Jon and want to make an energy drink…

http://www.bevnet.com/reviews/crunk/

I heat it up, add some brown sugar, a little bit of balsamic vinegar, reduce it, mount with butter and use it as a sauce for chicken.

<Li’l Jon>
HWWHHHAAAT? OKAAAAAYYY! Fill up my chalice of crunk! YAYUH!
</Li’l Jon>

How about a sturdy British guy? 'Cause then you could have pomegranate juice for your granite Pommy.

:::groan::

That was truly awful. I love it!

With some experimentation, it apparently goes well with 7-Up, which I always thought was too sweet anyway. Off to try another one, with a squeeze of lime… çuz I know 7-Up is supposed to be lemon/lime flavored, but I don’t know in what dimension.

tie-dye t-shirts?

Because as much as I love pomegranates, pomegranate juice has always tasted just plain nasty.