Uvalde, Texas school shooting - the political thread

Okay, so why do voters not seem to believe Democrats are very effective at dealing with crime then? Politics sets the stage for what kind of policies can be implemented, Democrats don’t seem particularly interested in that reality at times.

Because those voters are morons.

And there it is. The great liberal truism–if people weren’t so stupid, they’d all vote for us. That attitude man, I don’t know of any better encapsulation of what lead to Trump’s election, the impending repeal of Roe v. Wade, probably generational Republican control of the Senate etc.

They also might get vaccinated.

You left off Stupid Gun News of the Day which is a daily discussion of America’s gun madness. It’s almost as if you’re trying to change the subject.

Why do so many voters think that the election was stolen? Because they’re well informed geniuses?

I was going to make a joke about him “replacing” a white shooter, but it’s too G.D. soon. Jeez.

I’m here to talk about the politics of guns (or more specifically incidents like this). What are you here to talk about?

Because Republicans told them to believe it, and they did. It’s almost like political messaging works?

There’s your answer then. Voters think Democrats are weak on crime because Republicans said so and they’re gullible rubes. Your words, evidently.

Moderating:

All, this is a highly emotional thread at a highly emotional time. Let’s try to stay on topic.

Let’s also try to not to engage in personal attacks. There are Pit threads for that. Not saying anyone has, but there are some close calls already.

Thanks.

I’m curious if we could get some clarity on what the “topic” is, to me the thread title mentions a school shooting and the phrase “the political thread.” Would you say that the politics surrounding this shooting fair game?

Nm saw mod note after posting

Because crime is seen as an issue perpetrated by non whites, and Democrats are seen as the party that won’t control non whites sufficiently.

My understanding of this thread is that discussion of the current shooting and the politics surrounding it are acceptable. Forays into election stealing and vaccination rates are not.

Hope this clarifies.

The problem is more general than even that. There is a finite amount of time to report on events. Any category of event that happens on a distribution (pretty much all of them) will have some large outliers among a larger number of more minor ones. Because of the limited time, the news must impose some kind of importance cutoff and thus you only hear about the outliers. You don’t hear about the fender-bender, only the 40-car pileup. You don’t hear about the small kichen fire, only when an apartment building burns down. You don’t hear about someone that embezzled $1000, only $20,000,000. And so on.

It’s a fundamental defect in the very concept of “news” and preys on the worst of people’s cognitive biases. At the same time, it’s not evidence of some kind of special treatment of certain events or any kind of conspiracy. It’s the way things have always worked, albeit ramped up to extreme levels with the rise of social media.

You can drill down on that too. At the local level, you hear about local events. I know about the dog that’s missing, or the car that got broken into, or the shooting downtown, or the mayor’s DUI. None of those things are on the national news.

Right–the basic principle is the same, but since the national news has already covered the national-level outliers, instead you only hear about the local-level outliers. There’s still a strong selection bias at work.

Is that the case? It is not my area of special interest, but on the face of it, your statement seems unlikely.

Not sure how reputable this site is, but according to it, the US stands absolutely alone:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/school-shootings-by-country

Here is another. Yep, looks like the USA is very unique. And not in a good way.

Wikipedia reports there were 17 shootings in US school in 2020. That is clearly more than one a month.

But their list is not of mass school shootings. It includes incidents with only one injury. Still, it is sad that we even need to talk about the possibility of an average of twelve mass school shootings a year.