V (novel)

Verily there are a lot of V’s mentioned, referenced, alluded to, etc. (E.g. Victoria, Virginia, violence, Vesuvius, vagina, Venice, and so on and so on.) Is there a resource indexing all the V’s on each page?

?

However, when Diana ate that guinea pig, that was a moment.

It was really jarring to pre-teen me. About as jarring as watching Willie turn into Freddy Kruger the next year. I’m frankly scared about going back and re-watching it. “I was worked up by this?! What was I thinking?”

(I had no idea til looking at Englund’s wiki page that he was considered for both Han Solo and Luke Skywalker. It’s difficult thinking of anyone other than Harrison Ford.)

EDIT: There’s a novel? Is it related to the tv-series at all?

Yes, there was a novelization. There were many novels. I read quite a few of them, sadly. :wink:

I’ve mistaken V. (by Thomas Pynchon, and presumably what DPRK is talking about) for the novelization of V by A.C. Crispin in a trivia contest.

I stopped reading the V novels after the one in Florida – I remember liking East Coast Crisis, but the ones after that were kinda meh and 13-year-old me had other things to get interested in at the time. (Like my new Apple IIc!)

I’ve read about 1.3 Pynchon books, but V. was neither of them. Sorry!

To be clear, I am envisioning a comprehensive list. So if there is a bottle of vodka, or someone is wearing a veil, or mentions the goddess Venus- all(?) of those obviously count. But I want more than simply words beginning with V: the jaws of an alligator, a conical hat, a pyramid, filed teeth, the tip of a rocket (the Vergeltungswaffe itself already falling into the first category), etc., should all go on the list. Doesn’t seem to be such an index on the Thomas Pynchon Wiki, by the way.

Oh, there’s a novel, all right. The contents may surprise you. Whether it is related to the tv series or not, that’s an interesting question.

The novelization contained both miniseries, and was in the thousand-page range. There were also over a dozen original novels. I was massively obsessed with the show as a kid and probably read most if not all of them. There is also a more recent novel that is a sequel to the original miniseries and ignores the second miniseries and series. (I have 15 of the 17 books sitting in my phone unread right now–EPUBs made from a set of middling quality TXT files I found online.)

My favorite of the novels at the time was The Crivit Experiment.

Voilà! In view, a humble vaudevillian veteran, cast vicariously as both victim and villain by the vicissitudes of fate. This visage, no mere veneer of vanity, is a vestige of the vox populi, now vacant, vanished. However, this valorous visitation of a bygone vexation stands vivified, and has vowed to vanquish these venal and virulent vermin vanguarding vice and vouchsafing the violently vicious and voracious violation of volition! The only verdict is vengeance; a vendetta held as a votive, not in vain, for the value and veracity of such shall one day vindicate the vigilant and the virtuous.
I just had to do that.

[Cookie Monster]

Now what starts with the letter V?

Vendetta starts with V

Let’s think of other things that start with V!

Oh, who cares about the other things?

V for Vendetta! It’s good enough for me!
V for Vendetta! It’s Good enough for me!
Oh, Vendetta, 'detta, 'detta starts with V!

Oh, you know Villain starts with V

And Valerie starts with V

And so does Vaudeville and Vacation

Oh, who cares about the other things?

V for Vendetta! It’s good enough for me!
Oh, Vendetta, 'detta, 'detta starts with V!
'detta, 'detta starts with V! Yeah
'detta, 'detta starts with V, Oh boy!
'detta, 'detta starts with V

[/Cookie Monster]