Vagrancy Laws: Are They Federal Or Do They Vary.....

… from State to State?

For instance, if I can show at least 2k in my bank account, would I be left alone to walk the side of a highway?

NOT hitchhiking.

Just walking with a backpack?

Q

Vary by state and city. But you are not allowed to hitchike or walk or ride a bike on an interstate highway. You will see people trying to hitch a ride on the entrance ramps or near them , that is OK

I know and I would not knowingly break any laws. I would walk only, and never near any intertstate highways
In Germany, I would be considered a Wanderer.

Here?

Q

IIRC one may ride a bicycle on the shoulder of a freeway in California if there is no other reasonable way to get from one point to another. I’ve seen people bicycling on the freeway near Camp Pendleton.

CVC 21960(b) appears to only prohibit bicycles when the prohibition is posted.

I am not aware of any criminal laws which change (on the surface) depending on the amount of money in your bank account.

Don’t have a cite, but I’ve heard something to the effect that if you are out with your child, you’re supposed to have at least five bucks on you. At least, I know someone who had disastrous results while out with his daughter because:

a. he’s scruffy,
b. his daughter was a perfect blonde angel, and
c. he was penniless at the time.

The cops claimed that you’re supposed to have a certain amount of money. Probably more a policy or judgement call kind of thing, than an official law. Although you never know.