Van Helsing's Secret (SPOILER)

Who/What do you think Van Helsing will turn out to be? Dracula kept calling him Gabriel and the Left Hand of God and it became clear that he was very old. Do you suppose he is Gabriel the Angel and for some reason has been thrown out of heaven and must work his way back by killing monsters on earth? Or will he be revealed to be Casca Longinus?

As I posted in the other thread, I say he’s Longinus. Masada is the clue here: That was a mere (ha!) 300 years after Christ or so, and in the right area. So, I say he’s an immortal soldier of God, paying off the crime of stabbing Christ by killing lots of monster along the way.

As we all know, Van Helsing can kil any monster, even a giant monster… moon, flung by… pre-crisis Superman… with Batman on it… while van Helsing is sleeping. So he must have, like, divine aid. Or something. Like a 1920’s style-deathray.

Is Batman prepared? :smiley:

Actually, I heard the thing about Masada and wondered if he wasn’t supposed to be “The Wandering Jew”.

A bit of a hijack, I’m sure, but who is the “Wandering Jew”? I’ve heard him referenced before, but I don’t know much about him or his mythology. Why would you assume it was Van Helsing, especially seeing as how Van Helsing is working with the Catholics.

Moses? Or did you mean a different Jew wandering around the desert?

From this site

There is also a legend of the roman soldier Longinus, who thrust the spear into Jesus’ side and was therefore cursed with imortality.

I have heard both legends seperately and occasionally it is said that they are the same person

He’s not really Jewish. He just changed his name to Rosenberg for professional reasons. :smiley:

VH lost his memory before showing up on the doorstep of the Catholic Church, so it wouldn’t really matter if he had been Jewish.

Masada happened during the Judean revolt about 70 A.D. That’s about 40 years after Christ, not 300…

'Scuse me, 73 A.D. My mistake.

I thought Van Helsing said he remembered “fighting against the Romans at Masada”. That would make him a Jew, perhaps a Zealot, and certainly not St. Longinus.

As far as I know, the business about Longinus being an immortal soldier, rather than becoming an early Christian and dying a martyr (the Church tradition) comes from Barry Sadler, who wrote a series of novels based on that premise. I always assumed Sadler conflated the Church legend of St. Longinus with the legend of the Wandering Jew.

Don’t bother me with the facts. :wink:

Funny, he doesn’t look Jewish. :wink:

But he might have switched sides at some point.

According to Walker Percy, it wouldn’t have been a switch G