Van lifer goes missing on cross country trip with fiancee

That’s a fair point.

I still think any good psychological work-up on Laundrie would show that he’s a bullying narcissist who thrills to getting away with crimes, but obviously that’s just an opinion.

One thing that makes me wonder about this is that his parents had his car picked up. I’m not saying he hasn’t committed suicide, but it seems odd that they’d have gotten his car unless they knew he wasn’t coming back to it.

How would they know where to pick it up from? Was this after the police found it?

I thought the car was removed from the preserve and taken back to the parents, and then the police took it from the parents. I may have misunderstood that.

That site was one where the family had gone camping before. One possibility is that the parents worked out something with a friend to pick him up. They leave the car at the preserve for a few days to make it look plausible that he went into the swamp. The search is focused there, but in the meantime he’s halfway across the country in some random place.

That would be my bet.

It’s really tough to understand the parent’s going to the preserve two days after Brian had (they said) gone there, seeing the car, leaving it there, and then going back the next day and bringing it home----unless it’s that they thought this would be a way of focusing the authorities’ time and resources on a wild goose chase. (Note that they didn’t file a missing persons report on Brian until the day after they brought the car back home.)

Maybe there’s a way this all makes sense that includes the Laundrie family acting in good faith—but I’m not seeing it.

That certainly is a possibility, but it’s too easy to take preformed judgments and read them into someone’s behavior, especially on the first encounter.

Certainly someone capable of strangling a partner is not your usual individual.

The cops bought her story. He backed it up. They had them there for an hour on the side of the road. Cops. Investigating. Doing what cops do. Asking questions and stuff.

I’m not saying this guy didn’t kill her, but that Moab stop is what it is. The cops (this is their job) determined that YogaBoy was the victim. Now, if you wanna disparage the Utah … oh nevermind.

This thread has more Wild Speculation than a Wild Speculation Factory running at Full Capacity during a Wild Speculation Shortage. Its gone from intruiguing to amusing.

Why would you need a factory for something you can just pull out of your ass? And there has never been a shortage of what comes out of our asses.

That’s what has made me think all along that the parents know more about this than they’ve let on.

I won’t blame cops in this case. They handled the situation according to the protocol they’d been trained to use. Cops are much better informed than they were back when I worked at a domestic violence program, but DV is a complex situation, and both the protocol and the laws could stand improvement.

Someone with little knowledge of domestic violence might say, “Hey, she’s the violent one. She admits it!” But it’s more complicated than that. (Note that she “admitted” to OCD, which she didn’t have.) And her taking the blame is not uncommon for DV victims:

“Some of the behaviors that Gabby presents when they are engaging with her are common for somebody who’s being abused,” says Liz Sollis with the Utah Domestic Violence Coalition.

She is sobbing and apologetic. She doesn’t want to leave Laundrie and places much of the blame on herself. The contrast between the two — Laundrie calm, soft spoken and laughing, Petito unable to control her emotions and at one point hyperventilating — is also a red flag.

And Melissa Hulls, the Arches Park ranger (and sole female at the Moab stop) who urged Petito to get out of the “toxic relationship,” said,

“It’s not that we didn’t think he was manipulative, but we have to worry about the safety, and not the psychology of it,” she told the Deseret News. “If he’s manipulative, that doesn’t mean we have the legal right to keep them apart, or just arrest him based off that.”

Scotland has a much better, more comprehensive approach to domestic abuse. Under that law, the traffic stop would have gone very differently.

They are now.

I am curious as to what cards investigators are holding close. I’d have thought they’d give up on the Carlton Reserve long ago, but no. One of two things is going on with the cadaver dogs:

a) Investigators have a lead (not to say a tip) that Brian Laundrie commited suicide in the reserve, or

b) Investigators want the public to think they have a lead that Brian Laundrie commited suicide in the reserve

All this attention focused on the reserve near North Port … I guess if we were laying odds, the smart money would back up the proposition that he is indeed dead in the swamp somewhere. Just seems to this layman that if – if – he made it out of Florida, the lam might be easier going than it would have been otherwise if less attention were paid on the Carlton Reserve.

Then again: A resource-heavy national manhunt is not a trivial thing to maintain. Investigators may now be at the point of relying on inadvertent help from Brian Laundrie to ever find him.

Part of the reason I have backed off of thinking the Carlton Reserve was a decoy and that the parents plotted with him to affect some grand escape is the way law enforcement have continued to pour so many resources into the reserve. I’m assuming they have some level of evidence that leads them to keep doing that. Likewise, I assume if it was just an attempt to divert attention, I have to think there would have been at least some evidence of that too, probably not enough to arrest the parents or anything, but enough to have gotten law enforcement to back off the reserve.

I actually think it is likely that Brian never admitted to his parents he killed Gabby, most likely he had some story, the parents realized how much trouble he was in, and got him an attorney. That makes them look “guilty” because instead of being good for the cameras, their initial reaction when this hit national stage was to be the “no comment talk to our attorney” people. But the reality is that’s legally appropriate in this scenario. I’m assuming basic parental blockers were in effect as well, and they likely were psychologically trying to build whatever fiction in their minds they could maintain to avoid believing their son killed his girlfriend.

100%, all of this. I think it’s more than merely likely that Brian never confessed to his parents – I think it’s a virtual hammerlock.

Perhaps there’s extrajudicial evidence of him entering the area (illicit drone surveillance, for example)?

I don’t believe the suicide story. Brian Laundrie’s parents are too calm and nonchalant.

I’d be very upset if my kid was decaying in a swamp. Brian’s crime wouldn’t change my concern as a parent. I’d want to bury my kid properly.

There’s always a chance Brian is dead and the parents are convinced he’s safely escaped.

I mean his parents aren’t under 24 hour video stream, I think they’ve made almost no public statements or appearances, so it’s a little much to assume we know their state of mind.

That’s true. People react in different ways.

I could see him not admitting to killing her, or if he did then he asserts it was some ‘accident’ – I could definitely see that.

Abusers never believe that they are at fault.

“Mom, dad…the bitch was crazy. She came at me. Started slapping me. Picked up a knife/pot/pan/big stick/whatever. I, I reacted in a split second. I, I…I just wanted her to calm down but she passed out. It all happened so fast.”

And parents being parents, wanted to believe him but as you say, knew he was in a world of shit. We’re speculating of course, but this is a plausible scenario.

The problem is, leaving her the way he did and hiding out is essentially “consciousness of guilt.” That in and of itself is evidence that can be used by prosecutors in a criminal trial.