Van lifer goes missing on cross country trip with fiancee

In fiction, this is always explained as “fear of how bad it looked” and “they (police, court, jury) wouldn’t have believed me.” Perry Mason’s meat and potatoes.

Very interesting about the contrasting way of dealing with domestic abuse situations–thanks.

It’s very possible she was, sorta kinda. The video of her when she was pulled over made per appear to be a pleasant looking doormat.

Based on the video they were at a point in their relationship that their camping trip was toxic. If his driving was actually the result of her hitting him then it had devolved into physical confrontations.

On a different note, there’s got to be a lot of men who resemble Brian so that might be slowing down the ability to chase down tips.

Agreed. In addition, if I was out and saw Brian Laundrie, I would probably nudge my wife and say, “That guy looks like Brian Laundrie!” and she would agree and we would both laugh and go about our day. I’ll bet that most people would do that because you really don’t want to be the person who calls the police on an innocent guy who just happens to look like Laundrie, which as you said, is a lot of young men.

Just added another restaurant to my list of Places I’ve Been That Are Connected To Notorious Murders.

Mrs. J. and I ate at the Merry Piglets Mexican Grill in Jackson, WY, where Petito and Laundrie reportedly argued shortly before her disappearance.

We had lunch a few times at Smokey Joe’s Tavern in Wayne, PA*, which later figured in the abduction and murder of a young woman followed after she left the place one night - a crime featured in an episode of Forensic Files.

There are probably others. Maybe I could write a book, Dining Out With Death, covering restaurants associated with famous crimes.

*I used to drive by, but never ate at the General Wayne Inn in nearby Merion. In another widely covered case featured on Forensic Files, the co-owner shot his partner to death in an attempt to collect on his life insurance policy.
**Umberto’s Clam House in NYC, where Crazy Joe Gallo was rubbed out in 1972, is still in business. A recent reviewer on TripAdvisor said (unironically, apparently) “I had Chicken Piccata and it was to die for.”

I think you should write the book. It even sounds like the sort of thing that Food Network might run at night or during October.

Death Diners
Death Eaters
Good Eats With A Side Of Murder
Restaurants To Die For

Your guess is as good as mine!

See what I did there? :wink:

He’s probably sporting a Taliban beard by now.

That takes years. A hat and some stick-on water based tattoos would be quicker. Heck, you can buy a baseball cap with a pony tail sticking out.. Throw some reading glasses on and he’s 20 years older.

It’s not hard to change your looks.

Interview with the Petito parents. People online have commented that the step father resembles Brian.

And always remember, The Better You Look, The More You’ll See

Saw this news story a few minutes ago:

SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. — The attorney for the family of Brian Laundrie, the 23-year-old man who was named a person of interest in the death of his fiancee, 22-year-old Gabby Petito, told reporters Wednesday that unidentified “articles” belonging to the missing man were found at the Myakkahatchee Creek Environmental Park.
(Emphasis added.)

Coroner is now on the scene. Apologies for the link.

Apparently the parents took law enforcement to the site. If they have known where he was all this time, then I hope they face charges for their inaction.

This.

In case anyone wants a non-Fox link to the breaking news, here’s a link to CBS’s coverage. The first few paragraphs of the story:

I’m now back to thinking “WTF?” about the parents. You can pull up a map by the way and see that this Environmental Park is in a contiguous nature area with the Carlton Reserve where his car was left, and it looks like the whole area is actually part of a State Park. So this tracks with him likely having actually been there the whole time, albeit the Environmental Park is on the exact opposite side of the wilderness area from where the reserve is.

If the parents were really sitting at home wondering where Brian might be, and suddenly thought “oh yeah, we sometimes went to that creek years ago”, the move is to call police. Not go yourself, then call police. I hope they weren’t stupid enough to decide to “distract the police” by planting evidence there, because it is highly unlikely they have the skills to drop off articles of his clothing etc that won’t be patently obvious to a medical examiner / forensics team they were planted.

No. It’s normal to not want to send the police on a wild goose chase. That’s why you check it out yourself before calling them. And in this case the parents already previously had sent them on a wild goose chase when they reported him missing and said he went to the Reserve–which the police spent a lot of time fruitlessly searching.

It looks like I missed this from the reporting–the parents did not go there themselves first, they contacted police and they met police there and then they investigated. So they did do it the “right” way.