Being the OP, I’ve been meaning to add to this thread too. I bought Vanguard on opening day. I’ve been playing it since. It’s been fun, but not all consuming like when I first started playing EQ. I made my first characters on the Targonor server for no particular reason. I later found out that Targonor is the “unofficial oceanic” server. I’m not sure if that means what I think it means, but it did seem like a lot of the players were Asian. That’s not a bad thing in itself, but I had two worries. The first was that my play times wouldn’t mesh with the majority of the population. The second was pharming. I decided to create new characters on Gulgrethor (again, no particular reason for the choice).
[QUOTE=AudreyK]
There is an auction house system, though I haven’t used it yet, and there are general and regional vendors.
At level 11, I had 26 silver before I bought my mount, and I’ve been as frugal as reasonably possible.
I have not yet explored the crafting and diplomacy spheres of this game. Crafting in this game is far, far more complex than 1) learn recipe, 2) gather item materials, and 3) mass produce; it allows for unexpected failures and high-quality results. I’m looking forward to learning more about this.
Despite the bugs, I’m enjoying this game quite a bit. It has incredible potential. I really hope in the next few months they’re able to iron out all of the problems. It’s not a WoW-killer, but I think it can satisfy the players who want something deeper and more challenging than WoW.
[/QUOTE]
Good post AudreyK. I want to hit on some of the things in your post, which is why I chopped it up so much. I haven’t explored as much of the map as you, but I have done some of the other things.
The auction house is simple to use. It could use some better search features. It’s actually less of an auction and more just putting things up for sale for a set price. If you haven’t used it, you should. You can find better gear for less coin than from the NPC vendors.
Crafting and harvesting is also pretty good. Advancing in crafting isn’t explained very well though. I’m still not sure which of the specific skills I should be leveling. You have a limited pool of points and you can’t specialize in everything. Harvesting is fine too, but I wish they would highlight the nodes on the minimap like in WoW. The mining nodes are easy to find, but the trees are a bitch.
I think I’m starting to like the diplomacy. I didn’t care for it much with my first character in Qalia. My new character is based out of Tursh in Thestra. The diplomacy quests seem to be much more fleshed out. In fact, I got my first horse at level 10 doing a diplomacy quest, which saved me some silver and got me out exploring Thestra.
I agree with you and what a few others posted. It’s a buggy game yet, but I think it holds great potential. I’ll probably keep playing after the initial free month is over. I’m not sure for how long yet, but it’s good enough to keep me going.
If anyone is interested in some minor questing or something, maybe we should try to get together on one server or something? Any interest?
The name kept me from even looking into it. Although I’ve been in big raid guilds in the past, I’m now at a point in my (real) life where I don’t want to spend the kind of time that takes gaming. The “Wars” part of the name implied PvP. I don’t mind PvP in WoW, but it’s the only game where that’s been true. I’m mostly a PvE kind of player. The name implied to me that it was about guild PvP, which had absolutely no appeal what so ever.