Very happy with Discourse

Huh. Then I have no idea. Sorry.

Unread is now back in the topnav. See if this helps.

@codinghorror, is there any way to get mouseover in Sam’s Simple Theme? It doesn’t work in it. I’m on a regular computer, not a touchscreen.

Hi, all. Bet you never expected to see me posting to a thread with this title.
:wink:

I just wanted to give props to @codinghorror for the feature that saves a draft of my post or even OP should I wish to switch my device from my handheld apparatus to my desktop mid-composition. Sometimes a post will grow while I’m composing it; typing on my iPhone is kinda labor-intensive, and it’s very nice to have the ability to switch over to a full-sized keyboard.

P.S. I would STILL like access to a theme that permits me to not see avatars. Contrary to any impressions I may have given anyone, I have no objections to anyone having or using avatars; I simply valued my ability in vBB to choose not to see them.

And saves it even if I forget that I had an unfinished reply and shut down the computer, logging myself out entirely in the process.

(Still haven’t finished it, but the chances are a lot better than they would have been that I will, because of that feature.0

Glad it’s (mostly) working well for folks! This was a big change and a long time coming so it’s understandable that the considerable differences between the old forums and the new may be jarring for a while.

It’s possible to build such a theme, but there probably needs to be a bit of a consensus around how many people would use it. In the meantime, if you are on desktop, there are (relatively) easy ways to execute bits of CSS locally on your web browser per website where you could hide avatars in topics, like so:

img.avatar {
    display: none;
}

There seemed to be a moderate demand for a no-images theme. No embedded images, no avatars. I think it would be worth offering if it’s not too hard to make.

(I like avatars, and I wish this place would host images. But I’m reported what I read.)

If you made a poll, I’m sure you’d find that the people who don’t want avatars are such a tiny minority that it wouldn’t be worth doing.

What I’d have if I had a wish from a genie is the ability to turn off individual avatars. There are a few of them that are so annoying that it contributed to me ignoring the poster, but I still see their avatar a lot of the time even if I image block the image with ad block (and I am not the only person to run into this on the web.)

On balance, I like seeing avatars here because they are implemented well here, neither overly-large nor animated.

Thank you, that’s very kind of you to point out. I’ll see if I can’t figure out how to actually execute that workaround.

@codinghorror, again (see post #83), can you add mouseover to Sam’s Simple Theme?

This reminds me of a funny situation I experienced long ago.
I once asked an acquaintance for a favor and he started avoiding me.
When I asked his sister what was going on, she said:
“My brother hates saying no.”

Yeah, he’s avoiding me.

I am growing to like the new system a great deal. Of course, I use the simplified template. But it is nice to know what threads were red and have easy access to draft replies.

Many thanks, moderinos.

I still usually need to log in through email, though. I do not really understand why. Much easier to type in a password and go.

I just found something else I like in Discourse. I started a topic, and the site searches keywords to suggest that other threads with the same topic may have already been started. It shows those topic titles in the preview section to review. It saved me the time to search for other threads to make sure that I wasn’t repeating another topic. I also like seeing the other topics that it pulled up.

Thank you for all the kind words! As my personal presence here hopefully proves (to some degree), we at Discourse actually do care about creating great software for communities that lets them thrive and helps generate really interesting, productive conversations… without devolving into the collective howling of wolves.

This is not to say we get it all perfectly right – we definitely don’t – and there are still many miles to go before we sleep, many miles to go before we sleep.