Video clips you can easily find on the Internet, vs. those you can't at all.

[Inspiring post]

Warner Brothers doesn’t seem too perturbed by all the Looney Tunes cartoons out there, even tho they might detract from the sales of their Golden Collections. Monty Python clips? All over the place. But try finding some Simpsons, esp. Treehouse of Horror clips. The above post provides SNL as another example. Is this a wise decision by the corporate heads, hoping that people will buy the boxed sets instead? Or does the pettiness of the act, disrespecting fans of the works in question, prove counterproductive?

I’ve seen video of people seeing 2 girls 1 cup, but I’ve never seen the clip myself. Does this count?

In response to the OP, I think it drives people to Pirate Bay, and is couterproductive.

Aww, that’s me!

So, yeah, my contribution was going to be SNL. It’s so perfect, too, because I sometimes just get the urge to see, oh, the census taker, or the Continental or Action Cats, but I never can. Sigh.

This is due to you not trying to see it though, right? It’s extremely easy to find.

NBC Universal has put a lot of SNL clips up on Hulu.

Viacom of course is still fighting a major lawsuit against YouTube and has taken a lot of clips down (even those they do not own), but you can still find a lot of Viacom-owned properties on YouTube.

I think there should also be a category for companies that are lenient, allowing unauthorized uploads while also posting their own. When Monty Python put up their official YouTube channel, they put a comedic video up commenting on all the unauthorized uploads on YouTube and even put up higher-quality versions of already-existing unauthorized uploads. Sesame Street and Disney’s Muppets Studio are also pretty good at this, having their own official channels while not taking down unauthorized uploads- the Muppets even had an official YouTube response video with Statler and Waldorf making a typically insulting response to an unauthorized upload of the classic “Mahna Mahna” sketch.

Michael Penn, “long way down” the original was impossible to find until very very recently, and I am really glad I grabbed a copy because the page I snagged it from is no longer hosting it.

stupid record labels cry about how piracy is killing them financially when they deliberately end a talented musicians career over petty bs. /rant off
edit look what I found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jnh3NtELA8c

Oh, fine, now I have to go looking. I’ll ready my barf bucket.

This reminds me- Warner Music Group famously had a dispute with YouTube over royalties and had all of their music removed from the site, both officially and unofficially. WMG has supposedly signed an agreement with YouTube, but their music has not yet returned. Prince has also been cracking down on unauthorized use of his music.

:eek:

I remember when I used to be shocked by internet videos. Ahhh, the 90s. I envy you.

No, NBC Universal has put a few of very recent SNL clips up on Hulu, a handful of very old ones and virtually none of the ones I want to see. I mean it. Every single clip I’ve had the desire to see has not been there. Bernadette Peter’s song “Making Love Alone”? Not there. Howard Hesseman’s brilliant eulogy for John Belushi? Not there. Todd Rundgren’s performance of “Time Heals”? Not there. Kate Bush’s performance from season 4? Not there, although the “French Chef” clip from just before it is. I would happily watch the ads on Hulu. But the job they have done of digitizing stuff has been so half-assed that I have no desire to use their stupid service at all. If they just let people upload to YouTube and get the ad revenue from from people watching them on YouTube, they would have saved themselves a few millions and had a much more complete archive.

I was trying to find the video for Dynamite Hack’s cover of Boyz in the Hood a few months ago and couldn’t find it ANYWHERE. I know it used to be all over youtube, so there must have been a crackdown.

There’s also an opening bit from an old SNL before the 2000 elections, a fake first State of the Union address from Bush. At one point, they showed a U.S. map in which the entire Southern US was flooded, New York was on fire, and California was in the sea. Looking back, it was remarkably prescient. Alas, it’s nowhere to be found, which is sad because it was friggin’ hilarious.

If I dared go watch it myself, I’d probably laugh myself silly over a couple of girls pretending that they are still 18 months old and not properly toilet trained and think their emissions make the funnest toys.

Sometimes you want the money; sometimes you just want the control. Traditional media people, grimly determined to beat the internet rather than join it, definitely fall into that second group.

NBC and Universal are natural partners in that regard. NBC used to burn their film archives every so often as routine policy; Universal is famous (among a decreasing number of folk who follow these things) for letting much of their vaults go up in smoke accidentally a few years ago.

I think my innocence died as a thirteen year old looking at goatse. I knew then all I needed to about the human rectum.

Season 4 is out on DVD. I wonder if there’s a connection between clips no longer being available online, and seasons being released on DVD.

It is, thought I haven’t bought it yet (mostly because I have an S-VHS recording from a re-broadcast).

I don’t think I’ve ever bought a DVD of a TV show just because I wanted to see it. They just cost too much to be impulse purchases like that. The best you can get out of me is a rent.

Heck, even when I buy movies, it’s because I want the commentary. And even then I’ve gotten to the point where I’ll rent them and just watch every single part of the DVD.